What can I do if we signed a leased with option to buy but our wooden patio cover collapsed about a month ago? 6 Answers as of April 23, 2014

The landlord I believe doesn't have rental home insurance. The landlord said the adjuster will be there and told us that he told the adjuster that the high wind caused it. The wooden patio obviously was dry rotted. To this day there hasn't been anyone to see it. This damage from dry rot prevents us from going out of the back door. It has several rusty nails and another part is detaching from the home and about to fall at any time. Upstairs bathroom, soap dish built in has been broken prior to moving in (like that when we moved in 1 1/2 years ago) has sharp edges that someone can accidentally fall and get hurt. Point is that he is aware of it since day 1 and hasn't fixed it. We sent pictures and there are other issues as well. We always pay our rent on time in fact we pay practically a month before it's due.

HARVEY S. MORRISON, ATTONEY AT LAW
HARVEY S. MORRISON, ATTONEY AT LAW | HARVEY S. MORRISON
My first question would be to ask when your lease expires. You have rights and remedies under Chapter 5321 of the Ohio Revised Code, including that of depositing rent with the appropriate court. You might ask your city to make an inspection of the premises for compliance with local building, housing, health and safety codes.
Law Office of Ranj Mohip, LLC
Law Office of Ranj Mohip, LLC | Ranj Mohip
It all depends on what your lease-to-own agreement says. Many lease-to-own agreements state that repairs are the responsibility of the tenant.
Dessy & Dessy, a Professional Corporation | Ronald D. Dessy
The first thing you need to do is take a look at your lease in terms of whether it provides which party is responsible for the maintenance. On a typical residential lease, the landlord is responsible for the maintenance no matter what the lease agreement says. However, it is not unusual for the landlord to shift the maintenance obligations to the tenant as consideration for the purchase option in a lease. In any event, unless the lease provides otherwise, the landlord has no obligation to provide insurance -coverage for the benefit of the tenant. You have the right to withhold up to one months rent every six months provided that you use that rent to repair problems affecting the habitability of the leased premises.
Law Office of Jeffrey T. Reed | Jeffrey T. Reed
Sounds like you need find another home!? Was there ever a home inspection done?
Before I could render an opinion I would have to look at your contractual agreements with your landlord. It would appear that you do have some reasonable claims.
    You can sue him. You can leave. You can make the repairs yourself and send him a bill. And if he has a mortgage on the house, he has insurance on the house.