What can I do if there was missing court paperwork? 3 Answers as of May 04, 2011

How long does a court have to arraign a person charged of a crime? I showed up to court for arraignment as my apperance ticket stipulated and the court informed me they had no paper work regarding my case. Is there a time limit the court has to arraign me on the charges I was arrested for?

Generally if you are given a Desk Appearance ticket, they will arraing you at the court date. If you are in custody then they have approximately 5 days to get an indictment or they must release you. Since the paperwork is misplaced then they can have a reasonable time ( I know of no exact deadline in this case ) to either locate the original paperwork or have the prosecutor prepare new paperwork and have you arranged on that. You should hire an attorney.
You must be arraigned within a few days, but you were not in custody so the court can arraign you a month later or more. Manhattan often takes 36 hours to arraign a new arrest. Buffalo almost always arraigns within 12 hours. Some small towns don't have a judge available on weekends so you will sit in jail until Monday morning. Retain an attorney so that you get the best results in your case.
Rothstein Law PLLC
Rothstein Law PLLC | Eric Rothstein
Assuming you were arrested on a misdemeanor, the DA has 90 days to be ready for trial and the clock began to tick when you showed up for arraignment on the DAT.