What can I do if son was arrested but Miranda right wasn’t read? 1 Answers as of April 21, 2017

I was told that he was only going to be held overnight. While he was there, the officer told my son that it was only fair for him to write a statement of what happened because the other person involved wrote a statement. My son was unaware of his rights and they are using this statement as a signed confession. My son had no ideas that this was a confession. My son is locked up on a class E felony. When he tried to explain that the other person involved assaulted him and when the young lady told the officer what she did they didn't believe her. This isn't the first time this young lady assaulted my son. She even text me of what happened. This young lady stated that she was in a rage and that my son tried to calm her but she couldn't be calm. She broke some red champagne glasses and stepped on it. When police came, they thought my son broke the house up. He didn't. They took pictures even though this young lady tried to tell them she did it. I have a text from this young lady stating that she is sorry for getting my son in jail and that she thinks my son should press charges on her. My son has never been in jail. He doesn't know his rights. He has no understanding of what is happening to him and he doesn't even know what he was charged with. I had to get information from a friend who works inside the prison about what was happening to my son because they told us they were only going to hold him for 24 hours then release him.

The Rogers Law Firm
The Rogers Law Firm | Andrea Storey Rogers
Police do not have to read you the Miranda warning, even if they arrest you. Your son needs to hire an experienced criminal defense attorney to represent him. If he has no money to hire an attorney, he can ask the judge to appoint a public defender to represent him.