What can I do if someone accused me of stealing guitars based on hearsay? 8 Answers as of October 09, 2013

A group of plainly clothed investigators came to my house. They knocked on the door, I opened it and they walked in, without asking, and simply said "We need to look at your guitars" not "can we", and proceeded in doing so. I ask what is going on, they continue to look in rooms and my closets and they say someone said they seen me break into a camper and began asking questions. Which is just absolutely ludicrous because I did not! How can they do this based off of just random hearsay? That’s legal?

No, it's not legal and any evidence they discovered without a search warrant should be suppressed by the courts.
Attorney at Law
Attorney at Law | Michael J. Kennedy
No, it's not legal. You should complain to agency. Since they found nothing, there is nothing to suppress. You could bring civil rights suit, but dames probably small.
Charles M. Schiff, Attorney at Law
Charles M. Schiff, Attorney at Law | Charles M. Schiff
It does not sound like a valid search. The most common recourse is for you to move the court to suppress evidence obtained as a result of an illegal search. If you are wanting to bring suit against the police for violating your rights, you can do so but that can be an expensive and thankless endeavor.
There is nothing to do IF someone accuses you falsely. You did not insist that they NOT come in, so they came in.
Get a lawyer and don't talk with police.
    You have the right to remain silent. Only idiots talk to investigators/cops. Remember, no matter what you say it will be twisted around and used against you later.
    Cynthia Henley, Lawyer
    Cynthia Henley, Lawyer | Cynthia Henley
    They cannot come into your home without either a warrant or an invitation. Even if you invite them into the living room, that does not give them authority to walk around your home. They could get a warrant based on the "hearsay" of a individual - that is how cases are brought every day. (Think a victim of a robbery.)
    Law Office of James E. Smith
    Law Office of James E. Smith | James Smith
    Probable cause can be based upon hearsay.