What can I do if served with an eviction notice? 7 Answers as of January 09, 2011

I received an 3 day eviction notice, was served on the 5th, left at door what can i do? It says I have 5 days to answer.

This is not a criminal law question, but what you are facing is eviction, and possible 'Unlawful Detainer' proceedings. If you have just received a 'Pay or Quit', then the landlord is looking for the rent. If a case was filed, then you must answer, unless you would rather vacate the premises. You and always file your 'Answer' to the Unlawful Detainer. You did not provide any specifics about your case, so it is pointless to expand further. This is an issue about which you can receive a lot of help from your local Superior Court. The Clerk's Office will have a free, prepackaged forms for your use, and you might be able to attend a free clinic about the subject. Call your local Clerk's Office.
Either pay the rent in full or correct whatever default is specified in the Notice, or negotiate a deal with the landlord, or move out, or fight it in court by immediately filing your responsive pleadings and setting up a trial. You could hire an attorney, if it is worth the cost in fees you would have to pay.
Goodman, Dicus, and Teinert, LLP
Goodman, Dicus, and Teinert, LLP | Paul M. Teinert
If you want to contest your notice you should hire an attorney. Time is not on your side on this and you will need to act quickly. Feel free to call us with any questions.
Mandarano, Cavaletto & Associates
Mandarano, Cavaletto & Associates | Christopher Mandarano
If what you received was simply a one or two page notice bearing the words 3-day notice to pay or quit, then you should contact your landlord at once to attempt to negotiate with them regarding payment of the rent. The 5 days most likely means that after five days have elapsed, your landlord intends to file an Unlawful Detainer (Eviction) action against you in the Superior Court for your county. The eviction is a law suit and it will have to be served on you personally in most cases. You will have five days to file an answer to the Unlawful Detainer or you will be in default and could be "thrown out" as soon as your landlord gets her judgement against you. My suggestion is to hire an attorney now so you can avoid eviction and negotiate to stay in your home if that is what you wish.
File an answer to the complaint. You can seek the help of an attorney.
    Desert Defenders
    Desert Defenders | John Jimenez
    If it was a 3 or 5 day notice, or whatever amount of time, it probably said you had that much time to pay your rent or get out (vacate). If you don't pay in that time, they may then serve a complaint on you to go to court.