What can I do if received a collection letter from a company? Posted on July 30, 2011

I had a gym membership, the payments came out of my account automatically each month. In January I was denied access to the gym and was told I had missed 3 months of payments. Apparently a change in my account prevented them from drafting my account. I explained I could not catch this amount up at the time because I was unemployed. I recently received a collection letter with a bill of three times the amount of the original bill and a statement saying that charges are still being added. I would like to settle my account but cannot afford the current bill or the additional charges being added. Also if I am having to pay this outrageous amount, should I not be due the service for which I am paying, which in this case is use and access of the gym?