What can I do if a police officer stole my money? 3 Answers as of June 16, 2011

I was stopped by a police officer. He asked for my driver's license and insurance. Without thinking I gave him the envelope I carry my insurance info in, which included $600. He went back to his car, I guess to look up my information. He returns with all my paper work and tells me to have a nice day. He never gave me a reason for stopping me. When it came time to pay some of my bills I proceeded to grab it from my envelope and it was gone. Unfortunately that wasn't the first time this officer has stopped me with no ticket and missing money.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Reeves Law Firm, P.C.
Reeves Law Firm, P.C. | Roy L. Reeves
I would highly suggest you contact the Texas Rangers and file a complaint. They will investigate this matter. BTW: Can you e-mail me the name of the officer or at least the city where he works? I try to keep up with such matters so that if I have a client in that jurisdiction I will have the relevant facts in front of me.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 6/16/2011
The Law Offices of Greg Gray
The Law Offices of Greg Gray | Greg Gray
You need to file a complaint with the internal affairs division of the police department. They usually have a complaint form for you to fill out.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 6/13/2011
Cynthia Henley, Lawyer
Cynthia Henley, Lawyer | Cynthia Henley
For one thing, you cannot be sure that the officer stole your money. It sounds like you did not notice the money was missing fora while, which means that it could have been taken by someone else who got into your car or you could have misplaced it. Accusing someone of theft is a very serious allegation. And, you are essentially accusing the officer of bribery. However, if you want to go forward, you should contact the police department for which the officer worked and file a internal affairs complaint against the officer. I really do not see how you can swear that the officer took your money, but you could try.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 6/13/2011
Click to View More Answers: