What can I do if people at my job are harassing me for being gay? 2 Answers as of April 20, 2011

What can I do if people at my job are harassing me for being gay? I work and mind my own business, but people feel the need to call me names and ask me "what kind of man are you?"

Law Office of Neal L. Weinstein
Law Office of Neal L. Weinstein | Neal L. Weinstein
Immediately report the persons who are harassing you to your supervisor. Try to recreate a daily journal, documenting each instance of harassment. If the supervisor refuses to take action against those people, send a letter to his supervisor and senior management, outlining the number of times you were harassed, the number of times you contacted your supervisor, his actions or inactions, and your request for additional action against both him and the others.
Answer Applies to: Maine
Diefer Law Group, P.C. | Marcelo Dieguez
The first thing you should do is report the situation to your supervisor and/or Human Resources. If that does not help, or you are further retaliated against for reporting such harassment, you could make a report with the Department of Fair Employment and Housing. Or, at that stage, you can consult with an attorney.