What can I do if people at my job are harassing me for being gay? How? 6 Answers as of September 01, 2015

What can I do if people at my job are harassing me for being gay? I work and mind my own business, but people feel the need to call me names and ask me "what kind of man are you”?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
KEYL ADR Services, LLC | Mark D. Keyl
I suggest you complain to HR and indicate the harassment and that it is creating a hostile work place. If that doesn't work, then contact the EEOC and file a complaint. Be advised that a complaint to the EEOC will not make the company happy, and you could lose your job.
Answer Applies to: Mississippi
Replied: 9/1/2015
Behren Law Firm
Behren Law Firm | Scott Behren
You can file a complaint with HR or maybe the EEOC or local discrimination entity.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 8/28/2015
Ask the same question 2 months ago, before the recent Supreme Court decision, and you would get a different answer. But, the supreme court changed a lot with the same sex marriage case. They changed more than just the marriage issue. I do not practice this area, so I can not give you a reliable answer. Go see an attorney that handles discrimination cases. I have heard that EEOC now considers discrimination based on same sex orientation as now actionable. If so, you have a good case. You would even have a good case if you are straight, and others incorrectly perceive you as gay, and discriminate against you.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 8/28/2015
Fox & Fox, S.C. | Richard F. Rice
Complain to management and/or human resources. Call an attorney if needed.
Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
Replied: 8/27/2015
Law Office of Nathan Wagner
Law Office of Nathan Wagner | Nathan J. Wagner
Your coworkers and employer are violating the law in California. The Fair Employment and Housing Act prohibits them from harassing you based on sexual orientation, and it requires your employer to take steps to stop the harassment. You may have a lawsuit against your employer and coworkers. You should talk to a local attorney who specializes in discrimination and harassment cases.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/27/2015
    Borrelli & Associates, P.L.L.C. | Michael Borrelli
    Discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation is illegal under New York State and New York City Law. You cannot be treated disparately because of your sexual orientation, if you are being treated differently, that is illegal. There are different types of adverse actions, one such adverse action is a hostile work environment. That seems to be what is happening to you. You should contact an attorney.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 8/27/2015
Click to View More Answers: