What can I do if the other driver cannot cover my auto accident damages? 3 Answers as of August 09, 2011

I was t boned going through a green light the other driver had a yield light but didnt see me I have state minimum insurance he has no insurance. I called the cops they were too busy to come out and told us to file a report at the police station. the station was closed so I came the next day to file the report only to figure out he has no responsibility since there wasnt an investigation. im a delivery driver I was hit on the job my car is totaled I have sprained joints and muscles in my back and elbow out of 50$ for DR visit. what should I do? all the other guy has offered to do is to try and fix my car himself

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Rose, Senders & Bovarnick, LLC
Rose, Senders & Bovarnick, LLC | Paul S. Bovarnick
If you were injured in Oregon, your insurance company should have offered you uninsured motorist coverage equal to at least your liability limits. If you did not decline that coverage, then you can make a claim against your own policy. However, it sounds like you need to speak with a lawyer.
Answer Applies to: Oregon
Replied: 8/9/2011
Olson Althauser Samuelson & Rayan, LLP
Olson Althauser Samuelson & Rayan, LLP | Todd S. Rayan
You may have an L&I claim since you were injured on the job. Otherwise, since he has no insurance, either your UIM(Un or Under Insured Motorist) coverage pays or you sue him directly. If he has no assets then you are chasing a ghost and attorneys will likely not cover such a case on a contingent fee basis.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 8/9/2011
Shaw Law Firm
Shaw Law Firm | Steven L. Shaw
Since you were hit on the job, you should be making a claim with the Department of Labor & Industries, as this is a worker's compensation claim. That will cover your medical treatment. As for the damage to your car, if the person that hit you has no insurance or reachable assets, and you don't have uninsured motorist coverage through your insurer, it's unlikely you will be able to recover anything. Uninsured motorist coverage is not expensive. Add it to your policy right away, so that this doesn't happen next time.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 8/9/2011
Click to View More Answers: