What can I do if the online video game was hacked? 11 Answers as of October 08, 2013

I had a falling out with a guy I knew online. He managed to figure out my password for the online game we played. He proceeded to delete everything I had on all my characters and then took control of our guild and kicked me out. I changed my password and the customer support guys managed to give me some items back and control of out guild. I guess he found out and again figured out my password and disbanded the entire guild (which was built as a group effort by over a hundred people over the course of 4 years) and deleted all my characters. I have his name, address, phone number, and IP address of the computer he did it with. Is there anything legally that I can do about this situation?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
The Law Office of Nadia Lataillade, Esq.
The Law Office of Nadia Lataillade, Esq. | Nadia Lataillade, Esq.
Cyber bullying is definitely a new and burgeoning area and the laws are still being formed. Having said that, you might be able to sue him in civil court for harassment or intentional infliction of emotional harm. Past that, I'm not really sure you can do much. He hasn't violated your physical integrity and he hasn't actually committed a crime. I think the best thing would be to garner some support from your online community and guild. Doing that might put pressure on him to stop his cyber bulling or they may just kick him out.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 10/8/2013
Sebby Law Office
Sebby Law Office | Jayne Sebby
You can always file suit against the other guy.
Answer Applies to: Nebraska
Replied: 10/3/2013
Law Offices of Ronald A. Steinberg & Associates | Ronald A. Steinberg, BA, MA, JD
If he lives conveniently close, you could sue him for infliction of mental distress. If he does not, then it would be very expensive to sue and actually litigate the case.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 10/3/2013
Hobbs Law Group
Hobbs Law Group | Kristin E. Hobbs
This is an interesting and ever-expanding area of the law. It seems there are damages there, but how can they be calculated? It may be best to pursue this action in small claims. If there is a way the damages can be calculated and they are significant, contact an attorney to pursue this for you.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 10/3/2013
Lawyer for Indie Media
Lawyer for Indie Media | Sue Basko
First, contact the game company again and tell them you have all this information. Then file a police report with the local police and also with the FBI or with www(dot)ic3(dot)gov Try to get the game company to restore as much as possible and to tell you how you can make your game more secure. The game probably has a vulnerability in it to make it easy to hack. Since you do have the guy's personal contact information, file reports.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 10/3/2013
    Law Office of William Stoddard | William Stoddard
    You present an interesting scenario. How have you been damaged? Answer that question and maybe you can then get some attorney to figure out how to sue for damages. Is this other person in the same state as you? If not, you would have to go to where he is to start your action against him, if you have one. The cyberspace world has not been entirely worked out as to which duties there are and which duties there are not. I am not sure if his actions constitute a crime either. If he stole your identity, stole your property rights, caused you to lose money by fraud or subterfuge, maybe you could get a prosecutor to persue him in his location for committing a terrorist crime. I am not sure. Interesting question which would be worthy to consider. You might have to pay for finding out, however.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 10/3/2013
    Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A.
    Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A. | Paul L. Whitfield
    The web , the internet is all new ground. You need to find a nerd with a law degree. Ask around thru your network. If you find him share his name with me. I get questions often like yours. Most lawyer sknow nothing of the internet.
    Answer Applies to: North Carolina
    Replied: 10/3/2013
    Roe Law Firm
    Roe Law Firm | Theodore M. Roe
    Yes. This is essentially a tortious act resulting in the damage or loss of property. There are several questions I would have to determine which court to file in. Also what he did could have been a violation of federal wire tape laws.
    Answer Applies to: Oregon
    Replied: 10/3/2013
    Andrew T. Velonis, P.C.
    Andrew T. Velonis, P.C. | Andrew Velonis
    Living well is the best revenge.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 10/3/2013
    LYL Law Group
    LYL Law Group | Lior Leser
    You have a couple of options. (1) You can coordinate your efforts with the game developer. They can sue the other guy based on his unauthorized hack into a protected computer system. They have an interest in protecting their system and probably the means to carry out a protracted lawsuit. (2) Depending on how the game's Terms are drafted you might be able to sue under a form of property right. By hacking into your account and destroying the results of your efforts, he destroyed property that you either own or have a license to.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 10/3/2013
    Candiano Law Office
    Candiano Law Office | Charles J. Candiano
    If he is in state, make a police report with the information that you obtained from the site host.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 10/3/2013
Click to View More Answers: