What can I do if name change in one state was not accepted when I married 3 years later in another state as that state uses birth certificate? 1 Answers as of August 05, 2013

NY, wants me to remarry my husband. They say they only use a birth certificate to write a marriage certificate. Every document I have is in my new name. MD did not require me to amend my birth certificate. NY wants me to. Then they still want me to use subsequent or secondary marriage form. After all this trouble can we just legally marry in another state? I am hating NY for all they put me through my husbands birthday is wrong form. My original name is used even though all government ID is in my changed name and has been since 2008. I didn't marry until 2011. Can I just remark in another state or in a warm climate? Do we really have to remarks or are we legal as longs I carry my name change and birth certificate around?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Kalil & Eisenhut, LLC | Michael N. Kalil
Something really doesn't make any sense. When a women gets married and takes her husband's surname, they aren't required to go and amend their birth certificate. Following a divorce, many of my female client's have remarried, and I've never had anyone raise issue that they needed to amend their birth certificate. Sorry that I don't really have an answer for you. Certainly you can marry in another state, but before you do that I'd suggest going over the persons head that gave you information about amending your birth certificate, and see if you can get another opinion. I believe you're getting misinformation. I'd love to hear back from you if you learn anything additional.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 8/5/2013
Click to View More Answers: