What can I do if my wages are being garnished for a judgment in 2007 that I was never notified about? 6 Answers as of February 13, 2013

I have never been given an opportunity to speak to a judge.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
KEYL ADR Services, LLC | Mark D. Keyl
You could try to speak with a court clerk and look in the file, and see how they notified you. It could have been by publication, which is legal. If there was no notifion, then request to speak to a judge.
Answer Applies to: Mississippi
Replied: 2/13/2013
Lydy & Moan | C. Gary Wilson
You need to challenge the garnishment and also challenge the underlying judgment. You probably need an attorney to do this.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 2/11/2013
Coane and Associates
Coane and Associates | Bruce Coane
You could hire a lawyer and try to attack and reopen the judgment.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 2/11/2013
You would need to go to the court that rendered the judgment, and attack the judgment. Lack of service could be a defense, but the burden is now on you. You may also file a traverse to the garnishment, in the court that issued the garnishment, but you may be required to have the judgement set aside first. I do not know.RE: I have never been given an opportunity to speak to a judge.That does not ever happen, unless you file an answer to the suit, and obtain a court date. Otherwise, it is a default judgment entered by the clerk, and no judge is involved.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 2/10/2013
Kevin J. Connolly
Kevin J. Connolly | Kevin J. Connolly
You make a motion to have the judgement vacated. The clerk of the court has forms and instructions. Routine procedure.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 2/10/2013
    Law Office of William T. Harrington | William Harrington
    You need to find out what the basis of the judgment is and in what amount. If you were never served with the complaint, you may be able to obtain relief from judgment and reopen the case. It is very difficult to re-open a case so long after judgment issues, but not impossible. You should then discuss the situation with a lawyer to see whether it is worth pursuing.
    Answer Applies to: Massachusetts
    Replied: 2/10/2013
Click to View More Answers: