What can I do if my son was recently accused of stealing money from the cash drawer? 10 Answers as of February 05, 2014

The police contacted me and my son and told us that he could be charged with a misdemeanor for embezzlement.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Michael Breczinski
Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
Get a lawyer to defend him. That is what you can do.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 2/5/2014
Barton Barton & Plotkin
Barton Barton & Plotkin | Maurice Ross
You need to immediately retain criminal defense counsel for your son (or he needs to retain counsel). This is a serious charge that could adversely impact his entire educational and professional career unless it is dealt with properly.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 2/4/2014
Judith Samson, Attorney At Law | Judith Samson
I highly recommend that your hire an attorney for him. This type of case is know as a "crime of dishonest" which will affect his future job opportunities.
Answer Applies to: Minnesota
Replied: 2/4/2014
Law Office of Jeff Yeh
Law Office of Jeff Yeh | Jeff Yeh
He has the right to remain silent. Only idiots talk to investigators/cops. Remember, no matter what he says it will be twisted around and used against him later. Petty theft is a crime of moral turpitude, and if convicted he can kiss his college/career aspirations goodbye. Hire a lawyer for him before you get duped into something you both will regret for life.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/4/2014
Fluhr & Moore, LLC | Steven S. Fluhr
The only thing you can do is hire a lawyer for your son who after speaking with your son can decide the best course of action.
Answer Applies to: Missouri
Replied: 2/4/2014
    Michael K. Cernyar, Esq. | Michael K. Cernyar
    The best thing you can do is to retain an attorney for your son. Many times defendant's with a private attorney get better results.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 2/3/2014
    The Rogers Law Firm
    The Rogers Law Firm | Andrea Storey Rogers
    If he is actually charged, hire an attorney to represent your son. Don't let your son talk to the police on his own without a lawyer present.
    Answer Applies to: Missouri
    Replied: 2/3/2014
    Austin Legal Services, PLC
    Austin Legal Services, PLC | Jared Austin
    Under no circumstances should you or your son agree to talk to the police or take a polygraph without first consulting with a lawyer. Be proactive and seek out an experienced criminal defense attorney in your area.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 2/3/2014
    Law Office of Brendan M. Kelly
    Law Office of Brendan M. Kelly | Brendan M. Kelly
    You need to hire a lawyer and don't make any statements. Anything you say can and will be used against you. Normally, we can have the case dismissed.
    Answer Applies to: Nebraska
    Replied: 2/3/2014
    TAMBASCO & ASSOCIATES, P.C. Attorneys at Law | R. Tambasco
    The best thing you can do is to tell him not to make any statements without counsel and see that he has one before any questioning begins.
    Answer Applies to: Indiana
    Replied: 2/3/2014
Click to View More Answers: