What can I do if my son committed a hit and run? 5 Answers as of July 04, 2013

My son hit a parked vehicle at a gas station and came home to report it to me as he didn't feel there was damage to the other vehicle only his front right signal lamp was broken, nothing else. I told him he committed a hit and run and he just fell apart. What are our options at this point? It's the middle of the night and our local police station is closed until the morning. We live in a very small town.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Dunnings Law Firm
Dunnings Law Firm | Steven Dunnings
I suggest your son contact the police agency before they find him and come to get him.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 7/4/2013
Craig W. Elhart, P.C.
Craig W. Elhart, P.C. | Craig Elhart
First, if there was no damage to either vehicle, the accident does not need to be reported. If you are going to make an insurance claim, they may require a police report. However, if the accident happened on private property, the police may elect to not make a full report. If there was damage to the other vehicle, they will may have reported it. It sounds like there was mininal damage and there may be no need to do anything further. Seeking the advise of a competent local attorney may be helpful.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 7/8/2011
Michael Breczinski
Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
Well if he reports it and confesses then it will be easy and he will be convicted. If he keeps his moutn shut then he might never be charged. A person has a right to be silent and not report a crime. They may even be able to trace it to the car but without a confession or other evidence they cannot convict anyone of the crime. It is not proof a guilt to own a vehicle involved. Anyone could be driving. Remeber YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT!!!!
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 7/8/2011
Austin Legal Services, PLC
Austin Legal Services, PLC | Jared Austin
He could be charged with a crime of fleeing the scene of an accident. Since there was little damage and no persons was injured, it will probably just be a misdemeanor. Did anyone witness the accident? Speak with an experienced criminal attorney who can guide him on what steps to take next.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 7/8/2011
Klisz Law Office, PLLC
Klisz Law Office, PLLC | Timothy J. Klisz
If you cannot report it until morning because they are not open, you should be ok. It's not really a hit and run, but rather leaving the scene of a property damage accident and failing to report a property damage accident. Explain to the police and hopefully they understand.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 7/8/2011
Click to View More Answers: