What can I do if my roommate may be going to jail for awhile and I can't pay the rent on my own? 6 Answers as of January 24, 2014

My roommate may be going to jail for a while due to a few DUI cases. I'm not quite sure for how long but she is certain it will be for a while; although I'm not on the lease and she is. I feel stuck in this situation especially when I can't pay all the bills alone. We were helping each other out to save money. Now I don't know if I can deal with all the pressure! What are my options at this point? I need advice!

Either find the money or find a new room.
Hudson Bair | Hudson Bair
Um, either get your roommate to pay you for the month (s) they will be in custody before they are incarcerated, otherwise, you should probably get them to move out and/or arrange storage for their belongings and start looking for a new roommate.
Its good that you are not on the lease because the landlord cannot hold you to the balance of the lease and you can probably move, provided you give appropriate notice as defined by the landlord tenant statute. Tough situation otherwise. If you and she are obligated for bills, and she doesn't pay, you are responsible for the entire amount.
Law Office of Robert E McCall | Robert McCall
1. Move 2. Get a new roommate.
You are not on the lease and cannot afford the rent, plan on moving.
    You will be moving out. You cannot afford the rent and you are not on the lease. What options are you talking about? You have no money. How can you buy a brand new Porsche IF you only have $ 500? That's easy, you cannot.