What can I do if my roommate may be going to jail for awhile and I can't pay the rent on my own? 6 Answers as of January 24, 2014

My roommate may be going to jail for a while due to a few DUI cases. I'm not quite sure for how long but she is certain it will be for a while; although I'm not on the lease and she is. I feel stuck in this situation especially when I can't pay all the bills alone. We were helping each other out to save money. Now I don't know if I can deal with all the pressure! What are my options at this point? I need advice!

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Michael Breczinski
Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
Either find the money or find a new room.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 1/24/2014
Hudson Bair | Hudson Bair
Um, either get your roommate to pay you for the month (s) they will be in custody before they are incarcerated, otherwise, you should probably get them to move out and/or arrange storage for their belongings and start looking for a new roommate.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/24/2014
Freeborn Law Offices, P.S.
Freeborn Law Offices, P.S. | Steve Freeborn
Its good that you are not on the lease because the landlord cannot hold you to the balance of the lease and you can probably move, provided you give appropriate notice as defined by the landlord tenant statute. Tough situation otherwise. If you and she are obligated for bills, and she doesn't pay, you are responsible for the entire amount.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 1/24/2014
Law Office of Robert E McCall | Robert McCall
1. Move 2. Get a new roommate.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 1/24/2014
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
You are not on the lease and cannot afford the rent, plan on moving.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 1/24/2014
    Lawrence Lewis
    Lawrence Lewis | Lawrence Lewis, PC
    You will be moving out. You cannot afford the rent and you are not on the lease. What options are you talking about? You have no money. How can you buy a brand new Porsche IF you only have $ 500? That's easy, you cannot.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia
    Replied: 1/24/2014
Click to View More Answers:

Need more information on drunk driving law? Visit our free DUI resource page to learn more.

If you need immediate assistance, fill out a free case evaluation form to connect with a DUI lawyer in your area today!