What can I do if my previous landlord died and his relative who inherited all the property is trying to kick me out? 6 Answers as of February 18, 2014

My previous landlord died, his relative inherited all the property, and now they are trying to kick me out. The house is figuratively falling to pieces, black mold, missing tiles, no insulation, and no heater.

Stuart P Gelberg
Stuart P Gelberg | Stuart P Gelberg
You have no right to continued possession unless you have a lease. You can be given 30 days notice to quit and then evicted.
Dessy & Dessy, a Professional Corporation | Ronald D. Dessy
Contact your local county health department and ask for an inspection.
Get out. Why would you want to stay in a place like that? It is unsafe. Only if you get out can the new owner make the appropriate repairs.
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C.
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C. | James T. Weiner
unfortunately you cannot do much UNLESS you have a lease. without a lease he can evict you with 30 days notice. you can call the local building authorities and have the house inspected..
The O'Mara Law Firm, P.C. | David C. O'Mara
If you have a lease, they should honor the lease. If not, they can most likely tell you to leave.
    Law Office of James A. Anton | James Anton
    If you have a written lease then the new landlord must follow it. If you are a month to month tenant and you have been there for more than 1 year, then the landlord must give you 60 days notice to leave the property. If you are past due on your rent, then the new landlord can serve a 3 day notice to evict you. With all the notices, if you do not leave by the prescribed periods (60 day or 3 day) then the new landlord can file a lawsuit to evict you. With the problems in the property, you should provide written notice of these problems to the new landlord. You should review Normal 0 false false false EN-US JA X-NONE > California Civil Code, including but not limited to Sections 1940.8, 1941, 1941.1, 1941.3, 1942 and 1942.4 and California Health & Safety Code Section 17920.3 . That should tell you a lot about the situation. You should consider retaining legal counsel who is knowledgeable about these matters from LawQA.