What can I do if my paycheck was garnished by an unknown source? 2 Answers as of August 06, 2011

What can be done if your paycheck has been garnished from an unknown source and to your knowledge you don't know who this is and why they are garnishing your paycheck? Is there a way to retain your money once it has been garnished and if so, how soon could you get it back?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Bernard Huff, Attorney/Mediator
Bernard Huff, Attorney/Mediator | Bernard Huff
Contact your State's labor agency for a response initially. If you are not satisfied, contact the UI.S. Department of Labor for a reply.
Answer Applies to: Indiana
Replied: 8/6/2011
Law Offices of Steven A. Fink
Law Offices of Steven A. Fink | Steven Alan Fink
Paycheck can only be garnished if there is a judgment or tax lien against you. The garnishment documents should list the creditor's name and give the court information regarding the judgment. It should also provide you with information in filing a Claim of Exemption to reduce or eliminate the garnishment. It will be a minimum of 30 days until you get it back, but the levying officer will have it, not the creditor.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/5/2011
Click to View More Answers: