What can I do if my partner wants to file contempt court papers? 1 Answers as of July 20, 2011

My ex-wife got the car in the divorce and I got the debt. I lost my job 4 months ago and I can no longer make the payments. She refused to sell the car or make the payments to prevent repossession and now they called her to pick the car up. She said she is going to file contempt of court papers. What can they do to me? Can she go after my new wife for the money?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Reeves Law Firm, P.C.
Reeves Law Firm, P.C. | Roy L. Reeves
Please tell me you did not do a do-it-yourself divorce? It sincerely sounds like you did and you accepted the duty to pay for her car . . . not very smart. If you agreed to pay certain debts and were ordered to do so, she can file contempt, you have to show impossibility to get out of if but in the end, there is not a lot either of you can do. And your new wife is not liable to your ex-wife in any shape form or fashion, though I would argue that you should go to jail for contempt until it is remdied on the hopes that the new wife likes you enough to pay voluntarily.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 7/20/2011
Click to View More Answers: