What can I do if my neighbor’s trees are ruining my concrete? 4 Answers as of February 27, 2014

My neighbor’s trees are ruining my concrete. Who is responsible on fixing the problem? They are huge redwood trees, four feet from the property line, and would need to be removed. Thanks.

Stuart P Gelberg
Stuart P Gelberg | Stuart P Gelberg
Not a landlord tenant Q
S. Joseph Schramm | Joseph Schramm
Basically, you can cut back the roots and branches of the trees to your property line, but no further.
Dessy & Dessy, a Professional Corporation | Ronald D. Dessy
What needs to be removed are the roots growing on to your property. You should write a polite letter to the neighbor asking your neighbor to remove the roots that are encroaching upon your property within 30 days, so that you do not have to incur the expense to do so yourself. If the neighbor fails to do so, then you should hire a licensed tree expert to determine whether those routes can be removed without killing the trees. If there are any encroaching branches on your property you can remove those at any time.
Typically such trees are protected. You can have an arborist take a look at cutting the roots but not at the expense of the tree's health.