What can I do if my mechanic refuses to work on my car after I paid him? Posted on July 18, 2011

I hired a man to fix my van. He told me his price was $540.00 for ALL the work. When I picked up my vehicle from his home, he said there was one more thing wrong and to bring it back when I got the part and when he was available o fix it. We agreed upon a later date and I got ALL the parts needed to finish the job, as well as the remaining money I owed him (I paid 250.00 when I first picked up the van). I dropped off the van with him, gave him the cash he requested (my father-in-law witnessed the transaction) and he told me it would be ready the next day. It wasn't. Four days later after numerous tries to reach him with no response, he called to tell me it would be ready by 10 am the next morning. It wasn't. Four days after that, again after numerous tries to reach him, with no response, I picked up my van from his home and left ANOTHER message for him to call me. He didn't. The next day, I saw him and confronted him in a respectful manner, to which he "promised" to fix it as long as it was in my yard. I said ok, we agreed upon a day, and I left. It has now been another two days, he will not answer my calls, and has not showed to fix my vehicle. I feel as though he has STOLEN from me. what are my legal options? Can I get SOME of my money back? truth be told he did earn half, because he did HALF of the work.