What can I do if my landlord refuses to make repairs? Posted on August 02, 2011

I moved to Fl from IA in March. My LL decided he was going to redo the inside of the house I am renting. I was under the impression that everything would be ready but move in was delayed for about 3 days due to the house not being ready. Once we moved in the contractor came back out to finish up a few things. Both himself and me made a list of things that needed to be done yet and the LL told me verbally that rent was not going to start until 4/1 after the repairs were finished. The lease was for 3 months that I paid upfront along with security. The repairs are still not completely finished. On 6/1 the LL was knocking on my door demanding rent and insisted the lease was 2 months rent upfront, last month and security. I ended up paying him the rent for June since he wasn't agreeing that the lease states 3 months upfront and said to stop playing my little games. On 6/25 the water heater tripped the breaker again and when I went to turn the breaker back on a blue flame shot out of the top of the water heater and it made a loud pop. I promptly turned it back off an informed the LL of the problem on 6/27. He was not in but his staff called and left him a message while I was standing there. On 7/1 he flagged me down and demanded rent. I asked about the water heater getting fixed. He said he'd never received any messages but that he'd call someone and again demanded rent. I started to state about the lease again but he demanded I pay rent since it was the 1st and rent is due. I ended up having to tell him it would be our last month since he was demanding rent payment before fixing the water heater. I dropped of the letter he was requesting stating this on 7/6. On the advise of a realtor and a lawyer in FL who deals in Real Estate Law in FL from another legal advise website I both hand delivered with a receipt and sent certified return receipt copies of letters Withdrawing my Intent to Vacate since I have not yet found a place to move into and will continue occupying.