What can I do if my landlord consistently tries to charge for unlocking door? 4 Answers as of January 20, 2014

One night, between 8pm-10pm, I was locked out of my apartment and the maintenance guy had to drive from around the corner to come unlock my door. Ever since then my landlord and his secretary have been sending invoices ($30) for that service. Now, I know I could pay that easily but that's not the issue here. I've studied my lease agreement and terms and nowhere does it say I have to pay an unlocking fee. I've told them that and their response was basically, that is the cost of what a locksmith would charge. They even go as far as putting it under "miscellaneous charges" when I receive my rent invoice. What can I do to stop this?

James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C.
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C. | James T. Weiner
Stop locking yourself out of your residence and the charges will stop.
Stuart P Gelberg
Stuart P Gelberg | Stuart P Gelberg
Why do they owe you that service? Does the lease require them to come and open your door anytime you ask?
Harper Law Offices, Inc. P.S.
Harper Law Offices, Inc. P.S. | Joseph T. G. Harper
You should pay it, or be prepared to call a locksmith next time.
Either ignore it and see if they try and evict you or pay it and sue in small claims to have it returned.