What can I do if my landlord broke into my storage unit and took over $5,000 of my belongings? 1 Answers as of January 17, 2011

I did not owe money to landlord and there was no eviction under way. All I know is I found my unit door open and 75% of it"s contents gone. A neighbor who lives directly across hall said she saw "Susan's boy"s" removing my things" When I asked her for a physical description of the criminals she said she had to go but would be home in a few hours. I called the police and filed a report. I moved what was left of my things out the next day. My landlord hasn't returned any calls and I have made attempts everyday to reach her for a explanation. The witness has made it clear she don't want to jeopardize her situation by testifying against my landlord. What should I do. I want to file criminal charges and prevent her from doing this to anyone else. She clearly is abusing her position and I feel obligated to go to stop her. The value of what was taken is over $5000. I took pictures because the police said they didn't do that. One more thing what cinched it for me that it was my landlord was furniture of mine was broken up and in dumpster which is located a quite a distance from my storage. Also I found furniture and boxes of my stuff left on the back stairwell. The building has a locked entry and my unit is on 2nd floor they removed my things out back door of 2nd floor and the lock on my unit did not appear tampered with and the only other person with a key is the landlord.

Call the police and make a report. The report will be forwarded to the prosecutor's office for charging.