What can I do if my husband won't sign the divorce papers? How? 2 Answers as of August 05, 2015

My ex lives 8 hours away from me, my family made the trip and served him. However, he refused to sign any other document. The only thing he did is going in front of a notary with the person who was serving him. Is the a way I can continue the process without him? What should I do now?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Barton R. Resnicoff | Barton R. Resnicoff
Once he has been served, if he doesn't appear or sign an agreement to resolve the issues, you proceed by default. If there are assets, support or custody issues that must be dealt with, there may need to be an inquest(testimony on those issues); he will need to be advised of the time of the inquest and may even appear and testify, but, in the end, a judge will divide all assets, deal with all support issues as well as custody. Just because he doesn't want to cooperate, doesn't mean these issues are ignored.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 8/5/2015
David A. Browde, P.C.
David A. Browde, P.C. | David Browde
It's called a contested divorce case. He doesn't have to sign anything - but you should talk to a local attorney. It's not an easy do it yourself project.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 8/4/2015
Click to View More Answers: