What can I do if my husband was arrested because he didn’t show up for court and he owes $2988.34 for a car? 6 Answers as of August 12, 2017

It has been 5 years since my husband was making car payments. They are still trying to get my husband to pay the debt.

If it's your husband's debt, you can't do anything. Well, you could pay it off but that strikes me as flushing a large chunk of change. He probably wouldn't even be grateful. If he wants to eliminate the debt he could file bankruptcy.
You could pay the balance due. Or you could try to negotiate with the lender. Or you could offer to return the vehicle in return for cancellation of the debt. Or your husband could file a bankruptcy-but he would still have to pay for the car or surrender it to the creditor.
I don't think he was arrested for not paying. He was probably arrested for not showing up to a hearing (called a "judgment debtor exam."). See a lawyer about bankruptcy.
I am not sure YOU need to do anything or that this is something for you to worry about unless you were a cosigner on the loan paperwork. I would recommend that you not have any joint bank accounts with your spouse.
Get a completed copy of the court file, and meet with an attorney with all due speed.
    Law Office of Kimberly Fives | Kimberly Fives
    California is a community property state which means your husband's debts are your debts. If the original creditor or a collection creditor is hounding you for payment you can try to negotiate a lower payment yourself or installment payments to cure the debt. Without knowing the rest of your financial picture it's unclear with the information you have given whether there may be other options you would want to explore.