What can I do if my husband was arrested because he didn’t show up for court and he owes $2988.34 for a car? 6 Answers as of August 12, 2017

It has been 5 years since my husband was making car payments. They are still trying to get my husband to pay the debt.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Ronald K. Nims LLC | Ronald K. Nims
If it's your husband's debt, you can't do anything. Well, you could pay it off but that strikes me as flushing a large chunk of change. He probably wouldn't even be grateful. If he wants to eliminate the debt he could file bankruptcy.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 8/12/2017
Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
You could pay the balance due. Or you could try to negotiate with the lender. Or you could offer to return the vehicle in return for cancellation of the debt. Or your husband could file a bankruptcy-but he would still have to pay for the car or surrender it to the creditor.
Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
Replied: 8/10/2017
Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney
Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney | Janet Lawson
I don't think he was arrested for not paying. He was probably arrested for not showing up to a hearing (called a "judgment debtor exam."). See a lawyer about bankruptcy.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/10/2017
A Fresh Start
A Fresh Start | Dorothy G Bunce
I am not sure YOU need to do anything or that this is something for you to worry about unless you were a cosigner on the loan paperwork. I would recommend that you not have any joint bank accounts with your spouse.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 8/10/2017
GARCIA & GONZALES, P.C. | Richard N. Gonzales
Get a completed copy of the court file, and meet with an attorney with all due speed.
Answer Applies to: Colorado
Replied: 8/10/2017
    Law Office of Kimberly Fives | Kimberly Fives
    California is a community property state which means your husband's debts are your debts. If the original creditor or a collection creditor is hounding you for payment you can try to negotiate a lower payment yourself or installment payments to cure the debt. Without knowing the rest of your financial picture it's unclear with the information you have given whether there may be other options you would want to explore.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 8/10/2017
Click to View More Answers: