What can I do if my husband wants to get a divorce but I can't afford an attorney? 7 Answers as of September 25, 2013

My husband and I have been married a little over 5 years. Now he says he wants to file a 'no fault' divorce and that he'll procure a lawyer for the proceedings. I know we can't divorce until we've been separated for a year, but I've been a homemaker for the majority of our marriage. How can I afford a lawyer? Is there anyone who does pro-bono?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
James Carnes | James Carnes
Yes, there is normally a process where for persons who cannot afford an attorney, they can obtain the services of a lawyer by contacting the Legal Services Office (or Legal Aid) in your area. Check them out in the Yellow Pages.
Answer Applies to: Louisiana
Replied: 9/24/2013
Law Office of Annette M. Cox, PLLC
Law Office of Annette M. Cox, PLLC | Annette M. Cox
If you are in the state of Arizona and do not have a convenant marriage, then you do not have to be separated for a year prior to filing for divorce.
Answer Applies to: Arizona
Replied: 9/25/2013
Law Offices of Frances Headley | Frances Headley
You do not have to be separated for a year prior to divorcing in California.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/24/2013
John Russo | John Russo
You will need to contact the bar association in your jurisdiction they will give you pro bono list, seems you live in one of those jurisdictions that is south of logic , I have heard there are a few like N.C. etc that have this 1 year separation rule which makes no sense but, it is what it is. Also, if your husband is paying for counsel for himself then you are entitled to counsel from the marital estate funds also, especially if you have not worked in years. It is called advancement on equitable distribution, hopefully your jurisdiction allows for that.
Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
Replied: 9/24/2013
Provda Law Firm
Provda Law Firm | Bruce Provda
You can call your local bar association which may have a list of attorneys that do pro bono work.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 9/24/2013
    Ronald Main & Associates | Tracian M. Laignel
    In Oklahoma there is no separation requirement. If there are children of the marriage, a divorce will not be granted by the court until at least 90 days after the petition for divorce has been filed. However, if there are no children of the marriage, the waiting time is much less. Additionally, Oklahoma is a no-fault divorce state meaning that if one spouse commits adultery that spouse is not penalized by the courts in awarding property distribution. Lastly, Oklahoma has Legal Aid Services of Oklahoma where if you qualify, you will be provided free counsel. There are also discount legal service organizations in Oklahoma like Oklahoma Attorney Resources (OAR) which have partnering attorneys in the area that provide discounted fees to clients.
    Answer Applies to: Oklahoma
    Replied: 9/24/2013
    David A. Browde, P.C.
    David A. Browde, P.C. | David Browde
    First, you're wrong: there is no requirement of a separation. Second, if he's the one with the money the court will require him to pay for your lawyer too.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 9/24/2013
Click to View More Answers: