What can I do if my girlfriend and I broke up and she’s trying to get out of the lease? 3 Answers as of March 08, 2013

We just broke up today and she told me she has an appt with the leasing manager to see what her options are as far as getting out of the lease. I don’t care if she leave, but I do if she won’t be held responsible as I am. If I’m not abusive in anyway and no cops have ever been called, nor any police reports is she going to be able to just lie to have the manager get her out of the lease? How does that work? I understand that if people are in abusive relationships they should be able to go, but what about a failsafe to keep them from lying.

Durham Jones & Pinegar | Erven Nelson
If you signed the Lease, you are responsible even if the leasing manager agrees to let her off. If she leaves, you should try to find a roommate to pay her portion.
Law Offices of Mark West
Law Offices of Mark West | Mark West
I would say if she is on the lease and she lies to get out of it and you can prove it, you could sue her to enforce the lease against her (or at least her share of it).
Winnick Ruben Hoffnung Peabody & Mendel, LLC | Daniel N. Hoffnung
If the landlord lets her out of the lease, you may be forced to sue her for contribution