What can I do if my fiance abandoned me and left me with the bills? 12 Answers as of February 07, 2013

The lady I have been engaged to has left and moved in with another man. For a week now but now she is saying that she is coming back to take half of everything. But left me with all the bills. What should I do?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
The Law Offices of Seth D. Schraier
The Law Offices of Seth D. Schraier | Seth D. Schraier
Since you were not married during this whole time, then she has no legal obligation in relation to her relationship to you. Unless any of the bills are in both of your names, then you will be responsible for all the bills that are just under your name.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 2/7/2013
Office of Michael Hyde, Esq | Michael C. Hyde
First of all, change the locks on the doors! If you are renting, get the landlord's permission first. Second, is her name on the lease, or just yours? If hers is on the lease you need to send a certified letter to the landlord stating that she has abandoned the leased property and you are now the sole occupant and any security deposit he holds is now yours. Thirdly, Who bought the furniture? Do you have receipts? She would have to take you to small claims court and prove her ownership of the furnishing in order to remove them from the home. Fourth, file a small claims action against her for her share of the bills, which as a former roommate she is liable for.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 2/1/2013
If her name is on the bill let her take it. Unfortunately except for a civil small claims action there isn't anything you can do as you weren't married.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/1/2013
Reade & Associates
Reade & Associates | R. Christopher Reade
You have not indicated who owns/is leasing the Subject Property. To the extent that you can assert exclusive possession of the Subject Premises and secure the premises from her improperly entering and removing property without your permission, you should do so immediately.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 2/1/2013
Diefer Law Group, P.C.
Diefer Law Group, P.C. | Abel Fernandez
If you are not married and the bills are all in your name, you owe the debt. You don't state what bills you owe so it is hard to know whether you could sue her for reimbursement.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/31/2013
    Law Offices of Jayson A. Soobitsky, P.A. | Jayson A. Soobitsky
    In Maryland, if you had an agreement to split all bills or the bills are in both names you might be able to sue her for breach of contract. The best way to protect your personal property is to have your landlord change the locks if she is not on the lease. If her name is not on the lease you do not have to let her in the house. If she is on the lease you can remove the property that belongs to you and put it in storage so that she can not take it. Do not take any of her property. Only remove items that belong to you (items that you purchased, were a gift to you, or were inherited by you) or that you own jointly because you helped purchase the item. Since you were not married the marital property statutes will not apply. Contact an attorney as soon as possible.
    Answer Applies to: Maryland
    Replied: 1/31/2013
    Kalil & Eisenhut, LLC | Michael N. Kalil
    This is not a divorce question as you two are not married. Change the locks and don't let her enter. You may have to sue her for contribution to whatever the bills are, and she may be entitled to her property.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 1/31/2013
    Henry Lebensbaum | Henry Lebensbaum
    If they are in your name, you have to pay. You could try to sue her.
    Answer Applies to: Massachusetts
    Replied: 1/31/2013
    Fran Brochstein
    Fran Brochstein | Fran Brochstein
    I'm not completely sure what you are asking. If she's moved out then re-key the house and change the security code on the alarm. Notify the sheriff and constable's office that she's moved out and that she says that she is coming back. Unfortunately, this happens all the time and you need to give your local policing agencies notice ahead of time to avoid a confrontation when she shows up. Lastly, if she shows up, do not do anything to get arrested call the sheriff or constable's office and please do not get near her do not touch her! You will go to jail for assault. If she attacks you, retreat! I also recommend immediately hiring an attorney to assist you. Unfortunately, these situations can get "messy" and often the men go to jail for assault. Sometimes it is cheaper to "lawyer up" and let the lawyer deal with her.
    Answer Applies to: Texas
    Replied: 1/31/2013
    Carey and Leisure | John Smitten
    You can sue them in small claims court for the bills.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 1/31/2013
    Peters Law, PLLC
    Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
    Change the locks and if she comes on your property, call the police because she is trespassing. Tell her if she wants anything, she has to sue you.
    Answer Applies to: Idaho
    Replied: 1/31/2013
    Haskell Law Firm | Lori Haskell
    Depends on the name the bills are in. If her name is on them as well, you could sue her in small claims court.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 1/31/2013
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney