What can I do if my ex won't give me the property I was awarded in the divorce settlement? 19 Answers as of March 17, 2013

My divorce was finalized over 6 months ago. There was very little I actually asked for in the divorce. I was awarded these items in the settlement. Whenever I ask my ex when I can pick up these items he says, "I will let you know." Its been over 6 months, I want my stuff! He also has not closed the joint checking account that was in the settlement. What options do I have?

Mari Morrison Attorney at Law | Mari Morrison
File a motion for contempt.
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C.
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C. | James T. Weiner
File a motion to hold him in contempt of court for failure to follow the divorce judgment.
File an Order to Show Cause for Contempt. It's best to have your lawyer attend to it. He may get you the property once he is served with the documents.
Carey and Leisure | John Smitten
File a motion to enforce and for contempt.
LAW OFFICE OF ANNE B. HOWARD | Anne B. Howard
File for a court hearing to get a specific date and ask for attorney fees.
    Donaldson Stewart, PC
    Donaldson Stewart, PC | Monica H. Donaldson Stewart
    You might want to consider sending your ex a written demand via certified mail and state that if the property awarded to you is not turned over to you by a certain date (e.g. within 2 weeks), you will file an action with the court to enforce the decree and compel him to turn the items over to you. I recommend you consult with an attorney to discuss this situation in greater detail.
    Send him a letter with a deadline and advisement that you will return to court on an enforcement motion and request attorney fees and sanctions if he fails to comply.
    COURT.
    S. Joseph Schramm | Joseph Schramm
    You could possibly file a petition to ask to court to find him in contempt for not complying with the terms of the settlement agreement.
    Law Offices of Frances Headley | Frances Headley
    Failure to comply with a court order is punishable by contempt. You should consult a family law attorney about whether or not a motion for contempt is appropriate under the circumstances.
    Sounds like you want to file a motion (a written request) for the Judge to enforce the agreement. Exactly how to do this? This depends on the law of the State you live in. Before you do anything, talk to a divorce lawyer. And do that soon. If you are in New Jersey, call me and I will assist. No charge for the first office visit.
    Kingloff & Travis | William K Travis
    Send a certified letter to him demanding the property and give him an absolute deadline. Quote the terms of the settlement agreement. If he does not comply then bring a contempt of court action against him and be sure to ask for reimbursement for all costs you incur. If you hire a lawyer then the lawyer will likely ask for legal fees in your behalf.
    Law Office of Eric S. Lumberg | Eric S. Lumberg
    You need to file a motion to enforce the terms of the judgment. Since you have to spend money to do this, you can request costs. Talk to an attorney regarding this issue .
    Elizabeth Jones, A Professional Corporation
    Elizabeth Jones, A Professional Corporation | Elizabeth Jones
    You can make arrangements with your local polio to provide a "safety escort" to the house to pick up your belongings. Hopefuly you still have a key.
    Fox Law Firm LLC
    Fox Law Firm LLC | Tina Fox
    You can close the account yourself or in the alternative, remove your name from the account. As for your things, speak with the local authorities and see if they accompany you to the house. Give the husband the time and date that you and the police will be there. If they are not willing to do so, you will have to take him back to court in order to enforce the judgment.
    Petit & Dommershausen SC
    Petit & Dommershausen SC | Tajara Dommershausen
    Take him back to court for contempt.
    File a motion for contempt.
    John H. Sibbison III, Professional Law Corporation | John Sibbison
    You need to threaten him with attorney's fees and costs if you are forced to retain an attorney to enforce the order against him.
    Peyton and Associates | Barbara Peyton
    File an order to show cause for contempt with the court. If he hasn't complied with the court's judgment and his actions are wilful, he will be fined and subject to jail time of five days for each count of contempt. You will probably need a lawyer for this.