What can I do if my ex took our son out of the home? 4 Answers as of June 12, 2013

Briefly my ex and I lived together had a child 7 months ago and I have an 8 year old from a previous marriage. Six days ago, he took our son from our home to his grandma's. He claims I'm unfit. He's not staying with our son. He then closed our account took the money, he took my car and disconnected my cell phone. He forbid my daughter back in the home. I went to court and called police but there is no custody order in place so they said he's not doing anything wrong. It's been 6 days and I haven't even seen my son. I have no money, no car, no family and I worked for him. P.S. He is very tight with the police in our town.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Kunin &Carman | Ishi Kunin
Your option is to file a custody action with the court.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 6/12/2013
Waldman Palmer LLC
Waldman Palmer LLC | Christopher J. Palmer
You should contact the legal aid clinic or family law clinic in your area. Another place to try may be the Women's Resource Center in your area. Without more information, it is difficult to give more specific advice, but this is also not the forum for you to provide additional details. In short, if your ex is named on the birth certificate and there is no custody order, then he is within his rights to do as explained. If you believe the child is in danger, you may seek relief from the court under an immediate danger order. If not, you are left with trying to work it out or seeking relief from the court to develop a parenting plan. Each parent, generally, has the right to see his or her child. Seek professional help with this matter before its too late.
Answer Applies to: Oregon
Replied: 6/12/2013
John Russo | John Russo
You have to seek court intervention, before he does, file a petition to establish custody, placement, visitation, and support of the minor child the longer you wait the worse it is for you. I am not being mean but this is not a free legal representation site, it is to answer basic questions, and not for representation and/or detailed legal advice. Try contacting your local bar association and ask to be placed on the pro bono list, but in the interim file a petition with the family court the clerks will tell you what you need to file they can't help you or give legal advice but they will tell you what you should file.
Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
Replied: 6/12/2013
Glenn Milgraum PC
Glenn Milgraum PC | Glenn P. Milgraum
Go to Court and make an appropriate motion for custody. Most Family Courts have "Pro Se" clerks to assist you or can recommend an appropriate agency to assist.
Answer Applies to: New Jersey
Replied: 6/12/2013
Click to View More Answers: