What can I do if my ex refuses to sign for the certified mails I send her? 10 Answers as of January 09, 2014

I recently moved and per the order, I sent the courts and my ex a letter informing of my new address via certified mail, return reciept requested. Every time I send her something the way the order requires, she refuses to sign for it. Technically, I am not required to do anything more than certified mail, such as regular mail or email. She is now demanding my new address and saying that I am in contempt, but I have done what is asked of me. Am I still required to give her the new address if she has refused to sign for the letter? Should I resend the letter the same way? I'm not trying to be petty here, but I feel like she should follow the order as well and sign for these certified letters. Would I be in the wrong to only communicate with her as the court has stated in our order so that there is proof of the correspondence?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
J. Barbour Rixey, P.C.
J. Barbour Rixey, P.C. | J. Barbour Rixey
If you have provided the address as per the court order then you need do no more. Hold onto the undelivered mail so that if it becomes an issue at a later date you will have the proof that you did indeed comply with the order.
Answer Applies to: Virginia
Replied: 1/9/2014
Diane l. Berger | Diane L. Berger
I believe you are handling matters exactly as you should be handling them.
Answer Applies to: Nebraska
Replied: 1/8/2014
Milligan, Beswick, Levine, & Knox LLP
Milligan, Beswick, Levine, & Knox LLP | Stephen P Levine
I would in advance prepare a Declaration and attach your certified copies showing the refusal just so it's on file with the court Her refusal to follow the courts orders does not excuse your not following them if court said send by certified and you did nothing more is necessary but if she wants address some other way what does it her to give it to her and document that as well and a Declaration.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/7/2014
John Russo | John Russo
You should always send via certified, and regular mail, if the order states by certified you have complied just make sure you have the return certified from the postal service that she did not pickup, make duplicate copies for yourself and the court, that's your best evidence. But again always mail both ways, also when you do that ask ask for a certificate of mailing for the regular mail there is little to no cost for that it just shows you mailed it regular also. So when you are in court you have two (2) documents showing mailing and you can show the court she is playing games.
Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
Replied: 1/7/2014
Peters Law, PLLC
Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
Lawyers in a difficult situation like this will often send a letter both certified and ordinary. That way when the certified comes back but not the other letter, there is some proof that the person got the letter. At the top of the letter, just above the addressee block, type:Sent by certified and ordinary mail.
Answer Applies to: Idaho
Replied: 1/7/2014
    TAMBASCO & ASSOCIATES, P.C. Attorneys at Law | R. Tambasco
    Send another by usual or regular mail. Then send a notice of compliance to the court that you have complied with the order. Attach as exhibits copies of,the returned cert mail refused along with the copy sent by regular mail. Be sure to copy the ex on it as well.
    Answer Applies to: Indiana
    Replied: 1/7/2014
    Law Office of Cassandra Savoy
    Law Office of Cassandra Savoy | Cassandra Savoy
    You appear in court with the postal notices indicating that she refused to sign. However, it would save you a great deal of anxiety and stress if you sent her mail certified and regular mail. The court presumes that if you sent it through the regular mail that it arrived. In addition, you could obtain a proof of mailing at the post office.
    Answer Applies to: New Jersey
    Replied: 1/7/2014
    Law Office of Annette M. Cox, PLLC
    Law Office of Annette M. Cox, PLLC | Annette M. Cox
    If she fails to pick it up, she cannot argue that you failed to comply with a court order. I would just email or text her your address as well. Then if she wants to waste the court's time by filing some kind of contempt action, she will be the one in trouble with the judge.
    Answer Applies to: Arizona
    Replied: 1/7/2014
    The Davies Law Firm, P.A.
    The Davies Law Firm, P.A. | Robert F. Davies, Esq.
    Before you do anything, please talk to a divorce attorney in your area. This is serious. These legal issues will affect you and your family for many years. You may cause great harm to yourself and your children, and may lose a lot of money, if you do the wrong thing.
    Answer Applies to: New Jersey
    Replied: 1/7/2014
    Hilliard Law
    Hilliard Law | Attorney Martin G. Hilliard
    If you've received your green slip from the US PO, stating that the item was not signed for, that should suffice should she file a contempt action, however, I would also send her a text message and email for additional backup that you attempted contact.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia
    Replied: 1/7/2014
Click to View More Answers: