What can I do if my ex husband wants to quit his job and stop paying child support? 3 Answers as of August 24, 2011

I wondered my ex husband at his job now is making 100,000 to 130,000 a year. in the computer industry and has been for 15 yrs. He has 2 kids to support a 11 yr old and a 9 yr. old which he has done a great job of money wise. He is a alcoholic and just got out of rehab for his 3rd time. He emailed my the other day and said he was going to quit his job and go to school and be a drug and alcohol counselor. He is getting a divorce from his new wife of 2 yrs and said he is under marital stress and he did not like his technical field job anymore he wants to help others. Can he just quit and not pay child support? We just put our daughter in braces 2 months ago and our child support keeps a roof over our heads. Can someone just quit there job not pay child support and go to school and not work? He would be going from 130,000 a yr to 30,000 a yr. A huge change. What do I do? I know he has 401k unless he cashed it out. Is there any other way he should be paying support or does the law just say its okay you can quit your job and not pay. I know he has to make up in time everything he owes but what do I do in the meantime. That just does not seem fair to leave your job and abandon your kids without paying? Can you give me some advice.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Beresford Booth PLLC
Beresford Booth PLLC | S. Scott Burkhalter
He will continue to have a support obligation. The Court can impute income to him if the Court finds he is voluntarily unemployed/underemployed.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 8/24/2011
Law Office of Michael W. Bugni
Law Office of Michael W. Bugni | Jay W. Neff
No. He cannot just quit paying child support. I assume that there is a child support order in place already. Assuming that there is, then, that is the document that rules until someone goes back into court and changes it. So, for now, what ever it says that he has to pay - that is what he has to pay. Further, the court might not allow the order to be changed even if he tries to do so. Since he has a demonstrated ability to earn X dollars, the court is generally not allow the children to be deprived just because he has decided that working at a new, lesser paying, job for what sounds like purposes of job satisfaction.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 8/17/2011
Glenn E. Tanner
Glenn E. Tanner | Glenn E. Tanner
Your support won't change in Washington unless moves to modify it.If he does, you can argue he is voluntarily underemployed and the court should assume he's making what he's capable of.Keep the correspondence where he admits he's quitting voluntarily.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 8/16/2011
Click to View More Answers: