What can I do if my ex has people who use drugs watch our kids? 8 Answers as of January 09, 2014

My ex wife's mother is a marijuana user. She smokes everyday. She watches my kids when my ex want to go out and she smokes in the same house as them. Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening? She has the kids Monday to Friday and I have them on the weekends.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
J. Barbour Rixey, P.C.
J. Barbour Rixey, P.C. | J. Barbour Rixey
Yes , file a motion to amend the visitation and custody and try to get the court to not allow the mother to watch the kids.
Answer Applies to: Virginia
Replied: 1/9/2014
Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock
Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock | Arlene D. Kock
Return to court to get orders barring contact.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/8/2014
Peters Law, PLLC
Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
First, have the kids hair tested for drugs. It is one thing for you to say she is using around them, it is another to prove it. If the hair follicle test shows that there is marijuana in their systems, you have a basis for going to court to change the custody order.
Answer Applies to: Idaho
Replied: 1/8/2014
John Russo | John Russo
Court, and make sure you have proof, it is also called evidence, not what you think, or what you have been told, but what you can prove.
Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
Replied: 1/8/2014
Law Office of Annette M. Cox, PLLC
Law Office of Annette M. Cox, PLLC | Annette M. Cox
I would suggest filing a petition to modify the parenting plan and/or requesting a parenting coordinator to be appointed. A lot will depend on what kind of evidence you have that drugs are being used around or near the children. I would suggest consulting an attorney.
Answer Applies to: Arizona
Replied: 1/7/2014
    The Davies Law Firm, P.A.
    The Davies Law Firm, P.A. | Robert F. Davies, Esq.
    If you can prove it, you may have a good reason for the Judge to change this, to protect the kids. Before you do anything, please talk to a divorce attorney in your area. This is serious. These legal issues will affect you and your family for many years. You may cause great harm to yourself and your children, and may lose a lot of money, if you do the wrong thing.
    Answer Applies to: New Jersey
    Replied: 1/7/2014
    David A. Browde, P.C.
    David A. Browde, P.C. | David Browde
    Call the Child Abuse Hotline.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 1/7/2014
Click to View More Answers: