What can I do if my ex is engaging in questionable practices in our custody dispute? How? 7 Answers as of June 17, 2015

My 16 year old daughter was living with her dad and decided she wanted to live with me. Her dad is really mad. He and his current wife (I suspect) hacked into her email account and sent emails to him and his current wife saying that she wanted to have a baby, she hoped they all died and burnt in hell, that she was lying in court and I was teaching her how to lie and cry to get her way from the judge. Now CPS is involved because they think she is going to go on a killing spree and the judge believes she wrote these. What can I do?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Martin A. Kahan | Martin A. Kahan
If CPS files a petition in dependency court, you will have an attorney appointed for you or you can retain a private attorney. If they have not filed, cooperate with CPS and see what they propose.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/17/2015
Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock
Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock | Arlene D. Kock
You should immediately file and serve an emergency order asking for custodial placement of the child.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/17/2015
Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
First things first: you must retain an experienced family law attorney. Depending on the individual case and circumstances, it is sometimes possible to identify the fact of hacking into a system, and the time and other details. A computer expert might be able to help. It is also possible that they are simply working at her computer when she is away from their home. Then a more subtle investigation has to be done, and probably a private investigator (one of the good ones, hopefully) can try to establish where she was at any of the times when the emails were sent. Of course there remains the possibility that the 16-year old did send the emailsfor any of the reasons that teenagers do silly and sometimes harmful things. Then a p.i. or someone needs to speak with her. It's best to have someone highly trained in this sort of thing do so.
Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
Replied: 6/17/2015
John Russo | John Russo
If the court is inclined to believe she wrote the emails you need to rebut that, and that will require hiring a computer expert to try and ascertain if her email account was hacked or not, and thats not cheap, remember an expert, not just someone who knows computers, and they will also have to testify to same, so with legal fees for a good lawyer, as well as the forensic cost it could be very costly.
Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
Replied: 6/17/2015
Edwin Fahlen Attorney at Law
Edwin Fahlen Attorney at Law | Edwin Fahlen
You NEED a lawyer experienced in evidence rules to obtain the results you want.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/17/2015
Click to View More Answers: