What can I do if my ex did not sign the divorce papers? 5 Answers as of July 16, 2012

My lawyer and I filed in September of 2011, and it's July of 2012 and I'm still not divorced. This was an abusive marriage that I just want in my past and he's still being able to control me. He has a lawyer also and it's obviously contested but he is allowed to just drag it out and I'm tired. We have had a mandatory settlement conference, and trial date and still no divorce. Our " proofs were put on record" but we're waiting on him to actually sign the final divorce decree and he said at this point he doesn't feel comfortable with signing it because he wants to fight for the marriage but I don't want it. We are 7 days away from our deadline to have the decree to the clerk and he still won't sign. Please someone give me hope that he can't force me to stay married to him.......

Patrick McCarthy
Patrick McCarthy | Patrick McCarthy
In all likelihood, the trial judge will be looking to have the matter concluded (per your wishes), but it is not exactly clear how you matter has proceeded. Generally speaking, a judgment should be presented to the Court within 21 days from the time the proofs were placed on the record. Also, the trial judge may sign a judgment of divorce once the deadline has expired if one party is not signing the proposed judgment without providing sufficient grounds for his/her refusal to sign. Consulting with a legal professional is recommended to more fully evaluate your inquiry.
Kevin Bessant
Kevin Bessant | Kevin Bessant
Divorces can take some time to complete before the Judge will issue the final divorce decree, especially if the Divorce is contested by the parties. In extreme cases, divorces may even go to trial to determine the parties interests and awards in a divorce. In Michigan, after the reconciliation period has passed, because it is a "no-fault" state in terms of divorces, once both parties has made it clear that there are irreconcilable differences, and the issues of property, benefits, child custody, alimony, etc., have been settled the divorce will be granted. My advice is to stay in contact with your current Attorney to determine the status of your divorce and what steps need to be completed to receive the divorce decree. Your husband can not hold you hostage and the court's will not allow this, even if they have to file a contempt order against him for not complying the court dates and conditions.
Law Offices of Maryanne Spryszak-Hanna PC | Maryanne Spryszak-Hanna
Your attorney can show cause him for failing to sign, if he did indeed put his proofs on the record. If he does not show, very likely the judge can enter a judgment without his signature.
Leonard A. Kaanta, P.C. | Leonard A. Kaanta
If the settlement was put on the record, then your lawyer can move to enter the judgment.
Clos, Russell & Wirth, P.C. | Gary A. Russell
As you are currently represented by counsel, it is improper and unethical for another attorney to consult with you.