What can I do if my employer is letting me go after being injured at work? 7 Answers as of July 30, 2013

I was offered a new job from a competing company last week. I interviewed for the position off of company time and gave my current employer a two week's notice on Friday. On Monday, I was burned with pesticides while on the clock with my current employer. I notified him of the injury and the next day when I asked him if I could please seek medical attention because my skin is blistering and pussing and has progressively gotten worse he informed me that he will be letting me go on Friday, 1 week earlier than my original end date. He keeps saying that the injury happened on my own time, which it did NOT and refuses to provide an appointment with a doctor. I'm in a lot of pain, so my wife has finally convinced me to go on our own dime - but it’s completely unfair that he's letting me go from my job immediately after being injured and he won't take responsibility for my injury on the job. What rights do I have legally against this company?

WILLIAM L SANDERS, ATTORNEY AT LAW | William L. Sanders
You should speak with an attorney that handles workers comp cases. I do not. I do know that having an on the job injury does not protect your job.
LAW OFFICES OF ARMAN MOHEBAN | ARMAN MOHEBAN
You need to file a claim and application for worker's compensation benefits.
Law Office of Nathan Wagner
Law Office of Nathan Wagner | Nathan J. Wagner
You can file a workers compensation claim for the injury. Your employer is not allowed to fire you because of your injury or because you file for workers compensation. But you can be fired for accepting a job with a competitor. They do not have to let you work the whole time before your 2 weeks notice ends.
You have a worker's comp claim.
Fox & Fox, S.C. | Richard F. Rice
Immediately contact a worker's compensation attorney.