What can I do if my car was parked outside my house it was crashed into? 16 Answers as of April 24, 2013

The driver was drunk and didn't have a drivers license or insurance I have being with my car for 5 months only I am still making payments. Is there anything I can do so that the other driver helps me?

Durham Jones & Pinegar | Erven Nelson
Yes, you can sue the other driver. He may have homeowner's insurance, also. Plus, your insurance company should pay to have your car fixed after you pay the deductible.
Mark A. Manning, PC. | Mark A. Manning
In Michigan I would contact the Victim's Rights advocate and Court and ask for restitution as part of the criminal case. Make sure you provide them with estimates or bills for repair. Also, you could maintain a civil action for damage to property because he was uninsured you could seek full compensation for your loss.
Henry Lebensbaum | Henry Lebensbaum
Contact your insurance co.
You can sue the driver for the damage to your car.
Be sure to file the SR 13 report that notes the amount of your property damage. The State will take away their license until they make you whole. Also, if there are criminal proceedings pending against the driver, contact the prosecutor and get them to make sure you receive restitution as part of any sentence imposed.
    Lydy & Moan | C. Gary Wilson
    From your question, not clear if you have collision insurance that will cover your damages, less deductible. If not, could sue for the damages and hope the driver has money you can collect.
    Notify your auto insurance. They will pay for the repairs and go after the other driver.
    Conway Law Pllc.
    Conway Law Pllc. | B. L. Conway
    Yes, you can sue him in Small Claims Court. Secondly, check with your insurance company to see if you have Uninsured Motorist Coverage. If you do, file the claim and let them handle it.
    Curry, Roby & Mulvey Co., LLC
    Curry, Roby & Mulvey Co., LLC | Bruce A. Curry
    Your only real option is to turn the loss into your own insurance company. You can try to sue the other driver, but I am guessing that he/she does not have any appreciable assets and most likely would not voluntarily pay you any money.
    VANJOHNSON LAW FIRM, LLC
    VANJOHNSON LAW FIRM, LLC | Anthony Overton Van Johnson
    If you have uninsured motorist coverage on your insurance policy, you can file a claim under your policy. If not, you will have to sue the other driver and request a license suspension until the judgment is settled. You should consult with an attorney on this issue.
    Kevin H Pate
    Kevin H Pate | Kevin H Pate
    You can see if the responsible person will assist you without litigation. If not, you can considering bringing an action against the person to hold the party responsible for your loss. However, in general terms, people who do not pay for insurance on their automobile tend to lack any meaningful financial resources. So, it is possible to prevail in the litigation but be unable to collect on the judgment.
    Law Office of Lisa Hurtado McDonnell | Lisa Hurtado McDonnell
    File a claim with your insurance company and they will go after the uninsurance motorist.
    If your car was insured you should have uninsured motorist which should cover your loss.
    Matthew D Kaplan LLC
    Matthew D Kaplan LLC | Matthew D Kaplan
    If he has no insurance you need to report it to your insurance company. Assuming he is charged with a crime, you can contact the district attorney's office and get restitution as part of his sentence.
    Magnuson Lowell P.S.
    Magnuson Lowell P.S. | Richard S. Lowell
    Hopefully, the police were called! And then, you contacted your own insurance company. Assuming you have full regular insurance coverage, you should also have Uninsured Motorist Coverage for property damage. If you do, your own insurance company will cover the cost of repairing your car (usually minus a very small deductible). It won't be taxed against you by your insurance company (like a collision claim might). And your insurance company will, then, go after the drunk driver and try to collect directly from him. Also, the uninsured drunk can be reported to the Department of Motor Vehicles and they will suspend his driver's license - if he has one. And if he's charged with DUI and with Driving With a Suspended License (or with NO license), it's likely that the court may order him to pay restitution. So in answer to your question: Yes; there is a lot you can do.
    You can sue them small claims court, but if you have full coverage you are fine just go under your uninsured motorist that's what you pay it for.