What can I do if my car was parked outside my house it was crashed into? 16 Answers as of April 24, 2013

The driver was drunk and didn't have a drivers license or insurance I have being with my car for 5 months only I am still making payments. Is there anything I can do so that the other driver helps me?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Durham Jones & Pinegar | Erven Nelson
Yes, you can sue the other driver. He may have homeowner's insurance, also. Plus, your insurance company should pay to have your car fixed after you pay the deductible.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 4/24/2013
Mark A. Manning, PC. | Mark A. Manning
In Michigan I would contact the Victim's Rights advocate and Court and ask for restitution as part of the criminal case. Make sure you provide them with estimates or bills for repair. Also, you could maintain a civil action for damage to property because he was uninsured you could seek full compensation for your loss.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 4/11/2013
Henry Lebensbaum | Henry Lebensbaum
Contact your insurance co.
Answer Applies to: Massachusetts
Replied: 4/9/2013
Gates' Law, PLLC | Thomas E. Gates
You can sue the driver for the damage to your car.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 4/9/2013
James E. Hasser, Jr. P.C.
James E. Hasser, Jr. P.C. | Jim Hasser
Be sure to file the SR 13 report that notes the amount of your property damage. The State will take away their license until they make you whole. Also, if there are criminal proceedings pending against the driver, contact the prosecutor and get them to make sure you receive restitution as part of any sentence imposed.
Answer Applies to: Alabama
Replied: 4/9/2013
    Lydy & Moan | C. Gary Wilson
    From your question, not clear if you have collision insurance that will cover your damages, less deductible. If not, could sue for the damages and hope the driver has money you can collect.
    Answer Applies to: Ohio
    Replied: 4/9/2013
    Law Offices of Ronald A. Steinberg & Associates | Ronald A. Steinberg, BA, MA, JD
    Notify your auto insurance. They will pay for the repairs and go after the other driver.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 4/9/2013
    Conway Law Pllc.
    Conway Law Pllc. | B. L. Conway
    Yes, you can sue him in Small Claims Court. Secondly, check with your insurance company to see if you have Uninsured Motorist Coverage. If you do, file the claim and let them handle it.
    Answer Applies to: Virginia
    Replied: 4/9/2013
    Curry, Roby & Mulvey Co., LLC
    Curry, Roby & Mulvey Co., LLC | Bruce A. Curry
    Your only real option is to turn the loss into your own insurance company. You can try to sue the other driver, but I am guessing that he/she does not have any appreciable assets and most likely would not voluntarily pay you any money.
    Answer Applies to: Ohio
    Replied: 4/9/2013
    VANJOHNSON LAW FIRM, LLC | Anthony Overton Van Johnson
    If you have uninsured motorist coverage on your insurance policy, you can file a claim under your policy. If not, you will have to sue the other driver and request a license suspension until the judgment is settled. You should consult with an attorney on this issue.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia
    Replied: 4/9/2013
    Kevin H Pate
    Kevin H Pate | Kevin H Pate
    You can see if the responsible person will assist you without litigation. If not, you can considering bringing an action against the person to hold the party responsible for your loss. However, in general terms, people who do not pay for insurance on their automobile tend to lack any meaningful financial resources. So, it is possible to prevail in the litigation but be unable to collect on the judgment.
    Answer Applies to: Oklahoma
    Replied: 4/9/2013
    Law Office of Lisa Hurtado McDonnell | Lisa Hurtado McDonnell
    File a claim with your insurance company and they will go after the uninsurance motorist.
    Answer Applies to: Utah
    Replied: 4/9/2013
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
    If your car was insured you should have uninsured motorist which should cover your loss.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 4/9/2013
    Matthew D Kaplan LLC
    Matthew D Kaplan LLC | Matthew D Kaplan
    If he has no insurance you need to report it to your insurance company. Assuming he is charged with a crime, you can contact the district attorney's office and get restitution as part of his sentence.
    Answer Applies to: Oregon
    Replied: 4/9/2013
    Magnuson Lowell P.S.
    Magnuson Lowell P.S. | Richard S. Lowell
    Hopefully, the police were called! And then, you contacted your own insurance company. Assuming you have full regular insurance coverage, you should also have Uninsured Motorist Coverage for property damage. If you do, your own insurance company will cover the cost of repairing your car (usually minus a very small deductible). It won't be taxed against you by your insurance company (like a collision claim might). And your insurance company will, then, go after the drunk driver and try to collect directly from him. Also, the uninsured drunk can be reported to the Department of Motor Vehicles and they will suspend his driver's license - if he has one. And if he's charged with DUI and with Driving With a Suspended License (or with NO license), it's likely that the court may order him to pay restitution. So in answer to your question: Yes; there is a lot you can do.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 4/9/2013
    John Russo | John Russo
    You can sue them small claims court, but if you have full coverage you are fine just go under your uninsured motorist that's what you pay it for.
    Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
    Replied: 4/9/2013
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney