What can I do if my car got towed in front of my own house without warning? 19 Answers as of October 30, 2012

The other night my car got towed. My cars registration is 6 months overdue. They never gave us a warning or posted anything on the car telling us to move it.

Maybe it was reported as being abandoned. If so, the car can be towed. If I was your neighbor, I would not be happy about having a junked car laying on the street for an unreasonably long period of time.
Was it legally parked? If not, then nothing. If it was then the issue is can they tow it for no registration.

The issue would be whether they can legally have such an ordinance.
The Law Office of Stephen R. Chesley, LLC
The Law Office of Stephen R. Chesley, LLC | Stephen R. Chesley
If an unregistered car is parked on public street it may be towed as a violation under the Vehicular and Traffic law. You were delinquent in getting the car registered and therefor you do not need to be warned.
It depends on why it was towed. If it was towed because the registration was overdue, ask the DMV, Assessor, or treasurer what gives them the authority to tow it. If it was towed because it was deemed abandoned (which is probably the case, since it's on the street and unregistered), they may have had the right to tow it. I did a cursory search of the applicable laws and could find no law regarding abandoned vehicles. Find out what agency had it towed and ask on what basis it was towed. There is a law that allows police to tow vehicles that are blocking the road way, but the statute does not apply to residential areas. If you determine after hearing their explanation that they had no authority to tow it, ask them to reimburse you for any tow and storage bill.
Lombardi Law Firm
Lombardi Law Firm | Steve Lombardi
Well... what city of town do you live in? What are the ordinances governing the towing or unregistered vehicles?
Answer Applies to: Iowa
    R. Jason de Groot, P.A
    R. Jason de Groot, P.A | R. Jason de Groot
    You were lucky that you were not arrested. Go pay the fees and get the car back, then get it properly registered and plated.
    Dennis P. Mikko Attorney at Law | Dennis P. Mikko
    They may not have to give you a warning if there is a City ordinance regarding overnight parking. You may have to pay the towing and impound fee to get your car back.
    The registration is 6 months overdue, what warning do you need. IF your girlfriend is pregnant, WARNING THE BABY IS COMING IN NINE MONTHS. Is that what you mean by warning?
    Magnuson Lowell P.S.
    Magnuson Lowell P.S. | Richard S. Lowell
    Unfortunately, there's probably not much you can do other than to pay for the towing and pay to have the car released from impound - and of course - get your car registered. They have no duty to warn you before towing your "unregistered" car off the public street.
    If you want the car back you will have to pay the ransom. They don't have to warn you, if they did then it would give the vehicle owners an opportunity to hide the car. What did you think was going to happen?
    Pay to have the car released and get a proper registration.
    Hirsch, Closson, McMillan & Schroeder, APLC
    Hirsch, Closson, McMillan & Schroeder, APLC | Paul Schroeder
    I suggest you pay your registration as quickly as possible and retrieve your car from the tow lot. Their charges pile up quickly.

In the future, register your car on time and do not park an unregistered car on the street. Take this as a life lesson.