What can I do if my boyfriend was accused of theft? How? 4 Answers as of October 02, 2013

My boyfriend and I go to the store almost every night after work. They had accused him of opening a bag of marshmallows and putting the bag back. No one had told us anything at the register. We walked out and a cop pulls up says he was stealing we had no idea what was going on. They said an employee had seen him taking them eating a couple and put the bag down and said he was alone in the isle we didn’t separate in the store. My boyfriend had recently had a heart attack at 31 and had anxiety. We were so embarrassed. They said they would call us tomorrow so they can see the security cameras. I want to sue them should I? We were starred and looked down on and now his exits has got worse and stress is not good having a pacemaker and recent open-heart surgery. He is scared to go back to there.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Lawrence Lewis
Lawrence Lewis | Lawrence Lewis, PC
Do you have money for attorney?
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 10/2/2013
The Rogers Law Firm
The Rogers Law Firm | Andrea Storey Rogers
Why do you think you have any grounds to sue the store from which your boyfriend stole food? Store employees have the right to briefly detain shoppers if they suspect the of stealing. The heart attack and anxiety will be no defense. If your boyfriend is charged with stealing, he needs to hire an attorney to represent him. Otherwise, he risks having a conviction for stealing on his permanent criminal record, which will prevent him from getting a job, renting an apartment, getting a loan, etc.
Answer Applies to: Missouri
Replied: 9/12/2013
Law Office of Jeff Yeh
Law Office of Jeff Yeh | Jeff Yeh
Petty theft is a crime of moral turpitude, and if convicted he can kiss your career aspirations goodbye. He needs to hire a lawyer before he gets duped into a plea he will regret for life, or forgets he has the right to remain silent and cop himself out. Remember, no matter what he says it will be twisted around and used against him later.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/12/2013
Law Office of Jared C. Winter
Law Office of Jared C. Winter | Jared C. Winter
I don't understand your desire to sue. If an employee saw your boyfriend eating marshmallows that were not paid for, then they had every right to report the incident to the police, and the police have a right to investigate. I have two pieces of advice. First, do not talk to the cops. You have a right to remain silent. Exercise that right. If either of you are eventually cited for petty theft, either hire a local criminal defense lawyer or go to the court date and ask the judge to appoint the public defender. Second piece of advice shop elsewhere.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/12/2013
Click to View More Answers: