What can I do if my boss does not pay me on time? 2 Answers as of October 25, 2012

My employer gave me a payroll check that cannot be cashed and I was told by my employer that I have to wait until next Tuesday. Is this fair and is there anything I can do to get my money sooner?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Steven A. Fink
Law Offices of Steven A. Fink | Steven Alan Fink
It is definitely not fair to make you wait. Your remedy is to file a complaint with the Labor Board at http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/HowToFileWageClaim.htm. The problem is that you will be paid before they even process the claim, you will engender bad will with your employer, and the penalty is minor. Perhaps your employer is having financial issues also. One way for them to deal with the issues is to lay employees off. Better late pay than no pay.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/14/2011
E. Ray Critchett, LLC
E. Ray Critchett, LLC | Ray Critchett
Generally, your employer must pay you promptly. There are specific statutes for Wage and Hour claims. You may want to call an attorney to discuss this further as the employer's actions may violate the law.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 10/25/2012
Click to View More Answers: