What can I do if my attorney stops returning my calls? 2 Answers as of September 02, 2010

After meeting and speaking with nearly 10 different lawyers I finally settled on the one that I felt would represent me well. I paid a "retainer" of $5,000. We had an initial meeting and she gave me some recommendations, which I followed. It has been over 9 months since my misdemeanor arrest and my charges have not yet been filed.

My child was nearly taken away from me because of all this therefore I have some concerns yet my lawyer does not return my phone calls. I also have some paperwork that I would like to get to her.

I know she is busy but is it wrong of me to ask for a 5 minute phone call, even if all it does is settle my mind? Is it wrong of me to feel that she does not care and is just out to get the next $5,000 offender? What can I do about this?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Diefer Law Group, P.C.
Diefer Law Group, P.C. | Marcelo Dieguez
If your attorney is not responding, you should seek new legal representation immediately. Additionally, I would recommend that you contact your local bar association and report this attorney, as the local bar association will look into the matter and possibly sanction the attorney.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/2/2010
Law Offices of Ramona Hallam
Law Offices of Ramona Hallam | Ramona Hallam
You likely paid a flat retainer which is non-refundable. I would call the office and make an appointment to sit down with her. The real defense starts if and when they file charges, so I wouldn't be too concerned. You can pay another attorney and enter another agreement for legal services but this is probably overkill on an un-filed case. If charges are filed and she is non-responsive, change attorneys immediately.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/2/2010
Click to View More Answers: