What can I do if my asylum interview appointment date is delayed for more than 60 days after I filed my case? 3 Answers as of August 13, 2014

My asylum interview appointment date is delayed for more than 60 days after I filed my case and my biometric test done. On June 12, 2014, I filed my i589 case. Virginia,Arlington USCIS office received my case on June 16, 2014. I had my biometric test. But still I have no any further information provided to me from the office regarding my interview appointment date. More over, my friends who applied in July were called and interviewed. There are also rumors that those who applied in June 2014 are back logged or jumped. So please tell me why my case was delayed? Is it true my case is backlogged? What factors might have caused my case interview appointment to be delayed? Thank you!

Usually if you don't receive appointments early enough, your case may be placed on backlog pile because your case may be considered as non-priority. If nothing happens for 5 months, you may file for employment authorization ( form I-765 w/o fee) and if nothing else happens for another 30 days, you will be eligible for employment authorization.
Alena Shautsova
Alena Shautsova | Alena Shautsova
There is a backlog of asylum cases. Most cases fall into it. You might have to wait for your interview for years. You may ask AO to expedite the interview if you have a serious medical reason or other emergency.
Any answer you receive will be speculation. Your case me be stuck in the backlog. Your case could also not be ready for interview as security/background checks have not been completed. You must be patient as you will be interviewed.