What can I do if my accountant did not file my taxes correctly? 3 Answers as of February 27, 2011

I brought to my accountants attention a letter I had received in April 2010 that the IRS stated I owed $8000 in late fees and penalties for non filing of my 1120's in 2005 and 2006. My accountant told me that she took care of this and disregard. Subsequently I have received more tax collections. Again she stated that it was taken care of. My accountant then dropped me as a client the end of 2010. I have found out she never filed my sales and use tax from 2003 with the state of NJ on and never filed my 1120's for 2005 & 2006 with the Fed. Can I sue my former accountant for negligence?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
David Hoines Law
David Hoines Law | David Hoines
Yes, for penalties and interest.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 2/27/2011
Steven J. Fromm
Steven J. Fromm | Steven J. Fromm & Associates, P.C.
The hard part here is that you bear the ultimate responsibility for timely filing your return. Also, you must sign these returns. If you did not get them, you needed to be in touch with your accountant. Remember, you must sign your own returns, not the accountant, so how could she have taken care of this matter without your signature. You may want to discuss this with a malpractice attorney to get a more definitive answer through a face to face meeting with all the facts presented at that time.
Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
Replied: 2/18/2011
LT Pepper Law
LT Pepper Law | Luke T. Pepper
You can sue your accountant who is likely covered by insurance. You should consult with an attorney to discuss damages and see whether the cost of an attorney is worth filing a suit.
Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
Replied: 2/18/2011
Click to View More Answers: