What can I do if my abusive boyfriend wants to sue me for breaking the lease? 5 Answers as of August 19, 2011

I was in an abusive relationship for the past year. We moved in together in February and signed a lease. This week he pushed me so hard that the door came off of the hinges. I filed an emergency protective order and got most of my things to move out. I am worried that he will sue me for my portion of the lease but I am also trying to look for other places. I am not sure what my options are. He also took two bracelets back from me that were given as gifts.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Frances R. Johnson
Frances R. Johnson | Frances R. Johnson
Do not worry about being sued. If you are, you can present your defense in court. Don't allow anxiety over a lawsuit influence your decision about your health or safety.
Answer Applies to: Colorado
Replied: 8/19/2011
Law Offices of Steven A. Fink
Law Offices of Steven A. Fink | Steven Alan Fink
If he sues you for breaking the lease, his abuse is a pretty valid defense. In addition, you can sue him for assault and end up probably getting more money from him than you owe on the lease.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/18/2011
Dunnings Law Firm
Dunnings Law Firm | Steven Dunnings
Only the landlord can sue you as long as your name is on the lease. You need to talk to the landlord about taking your name off of the lease.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 8/18/2011
The Law Offices of Robert W. Bellamy
The Law Offices of Robert W. Bellamy | Robert W. Bellamy
Move out, let him sue you, get a lawyer, counter sue him and get in front of a judge. Bottom line is this threat is to manipulate you. A judge will crucify him.
Answer Applies to: Alabama
Replied: 8/18/2011
Click to View More Answers: