What can I do if my 6 yrs old son fell in the school bus and hit his forehead? 15 Answers as of April 30, 2013

My 6 years old son nodded off on the school bus yesterday afternoon and when the bus stopped he fell forward and hit his head. The bus driver never reported this incident and we were not contacted. The injury looks bad enough but we are more concerned about him hitting his head that hard on what appears to be an exposed bolt head. We did not hear of the incident until we picked him up from Aftercare several hours later. I couldn't attach the picture to show the injury. Please help, what can we do?

The Law Office of Stephen R. Chesley, LLC
The Law Office of Stephen R. Chesley, LLC | Stephen R. Chesley
First of all you should have your son checked out a doctor to determine if there are any other injuries that are related to this mishap. If your son has been injured you should contact an attorney to discuss this matter further.
Sedin Begakis & Bish | Mindy Bish
You can file a claim against the company who owns the bus and if different the company who hired the bus driver. The notion that a child may fall asleep is to be expected and if there is an exposed bolt head that could cause injury they are responsible.
In Michigan, his medical bills would be paid by your auto insurance under the No Fault Law. Generally, you cannot sue the school district or its employees for ordinary negligence. However, I would make a complaint about the school not sending your child for medical attention.
Sapiro Gottlieb & Kroll | Lawrence Kroll
You can always seek compensation if you were injured in an accident. The issues you need to prove are the apportionment of liability between the parties and the nature and extent of any permanent injuries which are the result of the accident. These are legal issues and you should speak with an attorney.
What did the doctor say about the injury, I am sure that being the concerned parents that you are the doctor or emergency room report at least gives the degree of the injury.
    Bulman Law Associates PLLC Injury Law Firm
    Bulman Law Associates PLLC Injury Law Firm | Thomas Bulman
    Nothing to do except watch your son and see if he acts injured. If so, take him to the hospital.
    Answer Applies to: Montana
    You can complain to the principal. You might be able to sue, although you have not given me enough information for me to tell if the school was negligent and the negligence caused the injury, or if the injury is severe enough to justify a lawsuit (any negligence after the accident in not reporting it to you would be irrelevant to a lawsuit for damages, but might be cause to complain).
    Bernard Huff, Attorney/Mediator
    Bernard Huff, Attorney/Mediator | Bernard Huff
    Report the incident to your son's school to see if it has insurance which will cover your child's injury. If not, the bus driver's insurance company may have coverage provided that your son's negligence did not cause his injury.
    Beach Whitman Cowdrey LLP | Eric S. Emanuels
    If your claim is against a public entity, whcih it is, the law is very clear that you must make a claim no later than 6 months after the incident pursuant to the California Governmental Torts Act. You would send the claim to the entity that operated the bus i.e., the city or county where the school district is located.
    I would think it important for the driver to report it to the school if it appeared there was an injury. If there did not appear to be an injury, what purpose or what need to do anything? I don't see how the injury would be the fault of the school if that is what you are asking.
    From a legal standpoint, before you can bring a claim you have to prove the bus driver was negligent, which will be practically impossible to do if the reason he hit his head was because he fell asleep. They were wrong for not letting you know about this right away, but that wasn't the cause of your son's injuries.
    Richard E. Damon, PC | Richard E. Damon
    Contact the school, tell them of your concerns. If no response, file a claim with the school district. However, this seems to be a relatively minor injury and your case does not have much value.
    WEISSMAN LAW FIRM
    WEISSMAN LAW FIRM | I.Donald Weissman
    First thing is to take your son to his doctor for examination. Monitor his progress and actions. (Keep notes if you feel he is acting different from his usual behavior.) Contact the bus company and the school to report the incident. A formal claim may be appropriate if your son suffered any serious injury. Bear in mind a statute of limitations against a school district is shorter than if a claim is against a private citizen or company.
    Koning & Jilek, P.C.
    Koning & Jilek, P.C. | Jonathan Neal Jilek
    You have a no fault claim.