What can I do if landlord won’t return security deposit is there an instance i.e.: misrepresentation that I can sue for 3 times amount owed? 7 Answers as of March 08, 2013

I have a former landlord that will not return security deposit though twice promised to do so is there an instance such as misrepresentation where I can try to recover 3 times the amount owed? She gave me 5 days notice to move instead of 30 and had said parking my work vehicle on the premises would not be a problem but it was I had a tow notice slapped on it the 1st night I had vehicle there per association rules work trucks are not permitted overnight parking.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Durham Jones & Pinegar | Erven Nelson
You have a claim for breach of contract. If you can prove fraud or misrepresentation, you could get punitive damages.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 3/8/2013
Law Offices of Frances Headley | Frances Headley
If the security deposit was not returned or accounted for within 20 days of your moving out, you can seek the return of the deposit plus damages in small claims court. You should consult your local small claims advisory.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/8/2013
Law Offices of Gerald A. Bagazinski
Law Offices of Gerald A. Bagazinski | Gerald A. Bagazinski
Take him to court. You are under Michigan Statute allowed to collect double the security deposit. If it was not held in escrow you may be entitled to treble damages if you frame your facts correctly.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 3/7/2013
Winnick Ruben Hoffnung Peabody & Mendel, LLC | Daniel N. Hoffnung
Sue in Small Claims/Housing Court.
Answer Applies to: Connecticut
Replied: 3/7/2013
Law Offices of Mark West
Law Offices of Mark West | Mark West
If you are in California, your landlord has 21 days within which to return the security deposit and if for less than the amount of deposited to account specifically for what was spent. If the landlord fails to do this they can be held liable for 2x the amount of the security deposit plus actual damages.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/7/2013
Click to View More Answers: