What can I do if the landlord had stopped the payment for my security deposit after a walk through? 5 Answers as of April 02, 2014

If a landlord writes you a check for your security deposit after a walk through, does that constitute that they are accepting the property as being cleaned and reasonable wear and tear? What can I do if they stopped payment on the check the next day?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Jeffrey T. Reed | Jeffrey T. Reed
Ask him what's up and if he won't give you a satisfactory answer you will probably have to take him to small claims Court!
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/2/2014
S. Joseph Schramm | Joseph Schramm
First, ask the landlord why he stopped payment on the check. If the landlord tells that he discovered damages that exceed normal wear and tear, then ask him for an itemization of those damages. If he fails to provide you with an itemization within 30 days, or if he provides you with an itemization of damages and the cost to repair them and you disagree with his itemization, you can file a suit with the local District Magistrate for two times the amount of your security deposit. If the magistrate agrees with you, then you would be able to ask them to award you double the amount of your security deposit as damages. The magistrate might not award this amount, but claiming it will probably catch the attention of the landlord and might help to resolve the problem.
Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
Replied: 4/2/2014
Patrick W. Currin, Attorney at Law | Patrick Currin
You should make a demand on the landlord for the full deposit. They have 30 days from you leaving to give you an accounting of any deductions from the deposit. If you can't work it out in the 30 days, sue her in Small Claims for three times the amount of the deposit. The law allows for treble damages in this circumstance.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/2/2014
Peters Law, PLLC
Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
Sue them in small claims court for not honoring the check.
Answer Applies to: Idaho
Replied: 4/2/2014
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
I would need the details and to be sure that you and the landlord, if you are in Michigan, have acted in accord with the various statutes.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 4/2/2014
Click to View More Answers: