What can I do if I'm supposed to appear in court by 2/24 and my case is a lawyer-tenant nonpayment of rent case and I can't afford a lawyer? 6 Answers as of February 20, 2014

I will be in court on 2/24. I can't afford a lawyer. I'm unemployed and on public assistance and applied for emergency rental assistance. This is a landlord-tenant housing case where I owe about $4000 in rent. The emergency rental assistance is pending mode and I should know if I get the money in about 2 weeks. Should I still get a court appointed lawyer?

Stuart P Gelberg
Stuart P Gelberg | Stuart P Gelberg
Call the local bar assn and ask if they have a pro bono panel for landlord tenant court.
There are no court appointed attorneys for Unlawful Detainer cases. You will be evicted unless you make a deal with the landlord.
There are no court appointed attorneys in civil cases. I presume that the rental assistance is as to future rents and not what you owe so asking the landlord for a continuance would not be accepted by him/her.
MatthewR. Schutz, Esq | Matthew R. Schutz
Yes. In New Jersey if you do not have the back rent by 4:30 PM the day of court judgment will be entered. It's not impossible to avoid eviction but it is tougher.
You are not entitled to a court-appointed lawyer for a tenant case, only a criminal case. All you can do is go on the 24th and hope you have good news about the rental assistance. Otherwise, my guess is that you will be evicted.