What can I do if I'm supposed to appear in court by 2/24 and my case is a lawyer-tenant nonpayment of rent case and I can't afford a lawyer? 6 Answers as of February 20, 2014

I will be in court on 2/24. I can't afford a lawyer. I'm unemployed and on public assistance and applied for emergency rental assistance. This is a landlord-tenant housing case where I owe about $4000 in rent. The emergency rental assistance is pending mode and I should know if I get the money in about 2 weeks. Should I still get a court appointed lawyer?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Stuart P Gelberg
Stuart P Gelberg | Stuart P Gelberg
Call the local bar assn and ask if they have a pro bono panel for landlord tenant court.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 2/20/2014
Patrick W. Currin, Attorney at Law | Patrick Currin
There are no court appointed attorneys for Unlawful Detainer cases. You will be evicted unless you make a deal with the landlord.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/18/2014
Law Offices of George H. Shers | George H. Shers
There are no court appointed attorneys in civil cases. I presume that the rental assistance is as to future rents and not what you owe so asking the landlord for a continuance would not be accepted by him/her.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/18/2014
MatthewR. Schutz, Esq | Matthew R. Schutz
Yes. In New Jersey if you do not have the back rent by 4:30 PM the day of court judgment will be entered. It's not impossible to avoid eviction but it is tougher.
Answer Applies to: New Jersey
Replied: 2/18/2014
Peters Law, PLLC
Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
You are not entitled to a court-appointed lawyer for a tenant case, only a criminal case. All you can do is go on the 24th and hope you have good news about the rental assistance. Otherwise, my guess is that you will be evicted.
Answer Applies to: Idaho
Replied: 2/18/2014
Click to View More Answers: