What can I do if I’m being sued for more than my insurance policy allows after a car accident? 2 Answers as of June 12, 2017

I was found at fault for a car accident a year ago. I just received a letter from my insurance company saying the other party is suing for more than my policy allows and I can get legal representation at my own cost. Do I need to get a lawyer? If the woman was in court the day, I had to pay the ticket less than a month later with absolutely no injuries. She did not even go to the hospital directly after the accident. She approached me in court to speak to me. There was nothing wrong with her no bandages, no cuts, bumps, bruises, nothing, is she likely going to win a settlement that is more than my house worth?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Candiano Law Office
Candiano Law Office | Charles J. Candiano
She can sue you for more than your insurance coverage but she won't. Here's why: She cannot go to trial unless she refuses to take your policy limits. Her attorney is NOT going to proceed to trial with no hope of recovering his costs. Neither the plaintiff not her attorney have any desire to own your house. Your insurance is simply advising you that you have a right to hire private counsel. They still have a duty to defend you under your policy without any cost to you.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 6/12/2017
Mark G. Patricoski, P.C. | Mark G. Patricoski
Hire an attorney for this.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 6/10/2017
Click to View More Answers: